Apartment equipment setup recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Hops

Reaction score
Hi,

I live in small apt, so don't have a ton of space. So far I have only cooked 1 gallon batches on my electric stove. It is a brand new stove though.

I really want to invest in a 7gal SS Chronical and want to pair it with an Anvil kettle.

-Should I shoot for 3 gallon partial boils and use a corresponding kettle that can accommodate (5.5gal)?

-Is BIAB an option on an electric stove AND still trying to produce 5 gallons of wort? Again is a partial boil my best course?

Thanks for any tips.

Three gallon boil in a 5.5 gallon pot allows more than enough room.

How do you plan to control the fermentation temperature?

Five gallon partial mash recipes would be better suited on top of an electric stove than an all grain BIAB to get 5 gallons in the fermentor.

I've done 3, 4, and 5 gallon boils on my gas stove using an ANVIL 7.5gal kettle. It's an excellent way for me to do my indoor brewing. The ANVIL can double as a step mash tun by adding a steel false bottom. A ball valve assembly kit comes included with the kettle and it's a very minor modification to match the false bottom to the valve for gravity feed draining of wort.
I have TWO kettles, the 7.5gal and another single-walled stainless 5gal from a previous beginner's kit to achieve this.

Three gallon boil in a 5.5 gallon pot allows more than enough room.

How do you plan to control the fermentation temperature?

Five gallon partial mash recipes would be better suited on top of an electric stove than an all grain BIAB to get 5 gallons in the fermentor.

I haven't thought about the temp control. So far it's just been "leave it on the kitchen counter for two weeks"

I do biab on an electric stove, it's a bit slow to come to the boil, but not too bad.

As for kettles, I use a 27 liter kettle to do 20-23 liter batches, using a smaller 10 liter kettle to boil my "second runnings".
basically after mashing i drain the bag, then move it to a second kettle to rinse with extra water and then slowly add it back to the main kettle during boil.

I've done 3, 4, and 5 gallon boils on my gas stove using an ANVIL 7.5gal kettle. It's an excellent way for me to do my indoor brewing. The ANVIL can double as a step mash tun by adding a steel false bottom. A ball valve assembly kit comes included with the kettle and it's a very minor modification to match the false bottom to the valve for gravity feed draining of wort.
I have TWO kettles, the 7.5gal and another single-walled stainless 5gal from a previous beginner's kit to achieve this.

Thanks. So far DME is all I've used, so it's all still new. I will consider the 7.5 gallon.

If I bought the 10 gallon, too big of a kettle isn't really an issue is it?

I do biab on an electric stove, it's a bit slow to come to the boil, but not too bad.

As for kettles, I use a 27 liter kettle to do 20-23 liter batches, using a smaller 10 liter kettle to boil my "second runnings".
basically after mashing i drain the bag, then move it to a second kettle to rinse with extra water and then slowly add it back to the main kettle during boil.

Thanks. Good to know that it can work on an electric stove with 7gal/27l

I haven't thought about the temp control. So far it's just been "leave it on the kitchen counter for two weeks"

Actually, this is generally fine when you're doing seasonal brewing indoors during the cooler months. When you plan on branching out a bit to lagers, kegging, or brewing during the summer that might change. Eventually I am moving on to kegging and modifying a small freezer or refrigerator with an InkBird thermostat controller.
I compete with my wife for kitchen space during brewdays so maintaining a small footprint is in my best survival interest.

Actually, this is generally fine during when you're doing seasonal brewing indoors during the cooler months. When you plan on branching out a bit to lagers, kegging, or brewing during the summer that might change. Eventually I am moving on to kegging and modifying a small freezer or refrigerator with an InkBird thermostat controller.
I compete with my wife for kitchen space during brewdays so maintaining a small footprint is in my best survival interest.

I know the feeling. We have a 100 sq ft galley kitchen.

The brewmaster edition SS 7gal is $250 more than the regular, so I'd have to really research that to if it's wort(h) it, but it does offer temp regulation.

I'm in the same situation is the OP. I'm currently brewing 5 gallon partial mash BIAB. This allows me to mash 2.5-3 gallons on the electric stove which comes to a boil in a reasonable amount of time and I top off with 2-2.5 gallons before pitching the yeast. The additional malt extract gets me to my desired OG after topping off.

I'm going to try a few 2.5 gallon all grain BIAB mashes soon. Then I can do a full boil and try my hand at all grain without having to worry about my stove getting the wort to a boil.

I'd have to say your choice of kettle size would have to meet certain considerations.
One need would be space. Another would be the heat output of your stove. Would it reliably heat a 10gal kettle on a full boil? I settled on the 7.5gal ANVIL because it suited my preference for low gravity ales in smaller batches, my stove barely heats a 5gal full boil, and the bottom diameter accommodated the 12" false bottom from my Igloo cooler.

Everyone has different needs and expectations but it's always helpful to see how they managed a solution. Maybe another track would save money or time. That's why this is one of the best forums around - loads of help and options for the same issues.

Is there such a thing as too much headspace?

I'm pretty sure I can say that 5gal of wort in a 7gal vessel is not an issue right? Is there a % at which it can become a problem with too much headspace? 5gal in a 10gal, etc?

I'm thinking I should only buy the Anvil 7.5 first and get the FIAK add on. And do I really need the ss at all then?

Is there such a thing as too much headspace?

I'm pretty sure I can say that 5gal of wort in a 7gal vessel is not an issue right? Is there a % at which it can become a problem with too much headspace? 5gal in a 10gal, etc?

I'm thinking I should only buy the Anvil 7.5 first and get the FIAK add on. And do I really need the ss at all then?

As I understand it, you do not have to worry about headspace in the primary fermenter. Enough CO2 will be produced to provide a protective layer which sits on top of your beer. However, in a secondary, you do want to minimize headspace. I think 5 gallons in a 7 gallon secondary is too much.

As I understand it, you do not have to worry about headspace in the primary fermenter. Enough CO2 will be produced to provide a protective layer which sits on top of your beer. However, in a secondary, you do want to minimize headspace. I think 5 gallons in a 7 gallon secondary is too much.

Thanks. I don't want to have to do a secondary, so that's a + for the ss.

Thanks. I don't want to have to do a secondary, so that's a + for the ss.

I never use a secondary. I dry hop and add fruit directly in my primary. It's not worth the extra work and risk. In fact, I haven't noticed any benefit of using a secondary (however, I have never brewed a beer which requires aging > 1 month).

I'd have to say your choice of kettle size would have to meet certain considerations.
One need would be space. Another would be the heat output of your stove. Would it reliably heat a 10gal kettle on a full boil? I settled on the 7.5gal ANVIL because it suited my preference for low gravity ales in smaller batches, my stove barely heats a 5gal full boil, and the bottom diameter accommodated the 12" false bottom from my Igloo cooler.

Everyone has different needs and expectations but it's always helpful to see how they managed a solution. Maybe another track would save money or time. That's why this is one of the best forums around - loads of help and options for the same issues.

The stove burner is 9” – 3000w.

And yeah, I think I picked the right to start asking questions. Really appreciate the support from everyone.

I never use a secondary. I dry hop and add fruit directly in my primary. It's not worth the extra work and risk. In fact, I haven't noticed any benefit of using a secondary (however, I have never brewed a beer which requires aging > 1 month).

Thanks for the confirmation.

A 7.5gal kettle was a good choice - for me, anyway.
It can easily accommodate 4 gallons of mash water and up to 11 pounds of grain - but that's pushing its capacity as a mash tun, in my opinion. My major reason for choosing a kettle to mash in was two-fold. I wanted to do decoctions and step mashing in an Igloo cooler is very difficult.

Back