apartment all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivot

Reaction score
Okay this is either going to seem stupid as hell, or completely brilliant, I havent decided yet.. Ive been bouncing this idea around for a little while.

Now what do people think about this..... do you think its possible to do a full boil inside your oven... like not on the stovetop but like actually inside of the oven? it feels like it might work but maybe im just foolhardy./

Does your brew pot fit inside the oven? I considered using mine in the oven for mashing a PM batch, but it was too tall.

I think you would have to be able to keep the door open, otherwise there would be a considerable amount of moisture in there.

Can’t put my finger on it…but something doesn’t feel right about that approach.

• A full 6 gallon boil on an oven rack doesn’t sound safe.
  • The condensation would be insane.
  • Would indirect heat even get you a rolling boil?
  • If it did, how would you prevent boil overs when adding hops.

Okay this is either going to seem stupid as hell, or completely brilliant, I havent decided yet.. /

Let me help you make up your mind. The correct answer is A: Stupid as Hell.

If your kettle even fit, it would take mundo hours to bring it to a boil in indirect heat with no control after it eventually takes off.

If it takes 5 hours to bring a 25lb turkey to an internal temp of 170F, how long does it take to bring 48lbs of water/wort to a 212F boil?

Too long.

Look into heatstick brewing, I have a 2000W heatstick and I brew in my apartment kitchen with great ease. I only use the stovetop burner for about 15 minutes to jump-start the boil, other then that all the heating is done electrically.

The oven idea sounds really wack.

search for apt. brewing or look at the links on the bottom of this page.

I do apt. all grain as do many others.

Hahaha, after spending 6 hours in an enclosed garage when it was -32C, ending at +29.8C, THAT was condensation! We were doing two batches, one a 4-hr boil. Sweat Lodge Brewing!
Heatsticks? Sweet!

Back