APA Session Ale Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timschram

Reaction score
Good day brewers.

Brewing a session ale tomorrow. 5 gallon batch. Mash at 150 for an hour.

5# NA 2 row
2# American Munich 20L
1# American Pilsner
.5# Crystal 60L

.5 oz Nugget 60 min boil
1 oz willamette 10 min
1 oz Centennial at flameout, sit 15 minutes
1 oz willamette dryhop 7 days

Wyeast American Ale II

Brewers Friend says this recipe fits the style and I should hit 1.046 on the OG at 75% efficiency.

My question is: is there some synergy with this grain bill? I admit, I was just kind of screwing around.

Second question: thinking about throwing some black peppercorn or grains of paradise into the the last 10 minutes or so of the boil. Yay or nay?

Thanks for the help and happy brewing!

I would either roll the pilsner in with the two-row, or swap out the pilsner for wheat. I don't think that there's enough difference between pilsner and two-row to make it a worthwhile mixture.

I'm not sure about Nugget in a session ale. Like Chinook, it seems a little heavy, a little dank, more suited to an ESB or IPA. You could go in a more citrus direction, swap the Nugget for more Centennial, swap the Willamette for something citrus, like Cascade or Falconer's Flight. Or you might go for clean and neutral - bitter with something like Glacier or Perle, swap out the Centennial for more Willamette.

I'd favor grains of paradise over black pepper, maybe throw in some coriander and orange or lemon peel. Kind of like Samuel Adams Summer Ale. Exercise restraint.

I would go all 2 row instead of adding in a pound of Pilsner. I don't really think that would be useful. I would also remove a pound of the Munich and add another pound of the base.

Nugget is an odd choice,but could be interesting, I personally like horizon for my bittering in APAs.

I like the recipe, Low grav beers do benefit from layering base malts and the simple adjuncts. That said, one pound of pilsner isn't going to add much here. I'd consider a pound of 3-5L pale ale malt (US or English), or wheat as was said, or flaked barley instead.

I like the hop selection. Nugget & Willamette marry nicely, and nugget has a nice complex bittering... and centennial will add a piney spice kicks well vs. The floral of the other two.

Let us know how it turns out.

Tasty's APA has about 20% pils in its malt bill, and its solid. However, I think 2 lbs Munich in this malt bill will overpower any "touch" of graininess from the 1lb of pils.

I'm interested in the hops - Willamette is a rather subtle hop for an APA flavor addition. Might be great. Would love to hear how it turns out.

Back