APA recipe brewed this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJL531

Soon to be exploring the US, one beer at a time
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is my latest attempt at making a more malty pale ale. I changed the grain bill from a previous brew by adding more Vienna. I bittered it the same way but dry hopped it with different hops than below. Results from thirsty friends were positive and they came back for seconds. Hopefully this one will have the same reaction. I brewed this yesterday, March 1.

5lbs Pale Ale malt
5lbs Vienna
4oz carapils
Using Safale S-04
35-40 IBU - Magnum hops
5 gallon batch and based on Brewer's Friend calcs, I hit the OG exactly. 1.057

Will split into 2 kegs (3 gallon kegs) and dry hop one with Vic Secret and the other with Pacific Jade. I will also compliment those 2 with a lesser amount of 2 other hops, but I'm still researching just which ones to use.
I have some open Motueka that I think will go with the Pacific Jade.

The previous brew was last summer with 70/30 2-row/Vienna and the results were real nice. That one was a little dryer and bottle conditioned so I'm looking for a slightly heavier malty flavor. I'm hoping the S-04 will bring out the citrusy elements of the hops and offset the sweetness of the malts.

Thanks for the advice. It's in the fermentor right now. Yeast pitched about 2.5 days ago from a starter and it bubbled like crazy the first 2 days. Not racking to a secondary and plan on kegging in 8-9 days from now, then adding the dry hops.

Back