Anything wrong with this schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am working on my second batch which is a simple Golden Ale (my first I moved to a secondary and let it sit for a week before bottling and it now conditioning).

Here is what I am thinking of doing with this batch and I want to see what pitfalls I should watch out for or if my ideas are bad:

This batch has been sitting in my primary for 13 days and I think I am going to let it ride for another week before my next step (I am basing this off the many threads about letting it sit for a longer period in your primary).

I had planned on transferring from primary into bottling bucket and then letting the bottling bucket sit for another week or so in my garage fridge to cold crash it to clear even more sediment out. After that I was going to move to the bottling stage.

So I guess my questions are:

1. Good idea to leave an American Ale in the primary for roughly 20-21 days?
2. Should I cold crash?
3. Should I transfer to new bucket before cold crashing, or cold crash in the primary?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Hello MissStBrewDawg. Welcome to HBT. Here is my recommendation:

1. Good idea to leave an American Ale in the primary for roughly 20-21 days? I agree with this, and normally follow this practice. While active fermentation may be over in 4-7 days, the additional time allows for the yeast to clean up byproducts produced.

2. Should I cold crash? I recommend cold crashing. IMO you end up with a clearer beer. The cold temperature will help most of the particulate to settle out at around 34 F for 5 days or so.

3. Should I transfer to new bucket before cold crashing, or cold crash in the primary? I would leave it in the primary and cold crash in that vessel. There is no need to rack to a secondary, unless you are dry hopping, or utilizing fruit or adjuncts for flavor. .

I am sure it will turn out fine. Cheers!

I had planned on transferring from primary into bottling bucket and then letting the bottling bucket sit for another week or so in my garage fridge to cold crash it to clear even more sediment out. After that I was going to move to the bottling stage.

Your bottling bucket would make a poor choice for a secondary. Main risk at this point is exposure to oxygen. A good secondary will normally have very little headspace to minimize oxygen exposure.

Back