Anyone using two 3/8" immersion chillers?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

gotbags-10

Reaction score
Getting ready to build an immersion chiller. I was thinking about getting a 50' length of coil and making two 25 foot chillers tied together. I figured it would be better than a single 50' chiller or a single 25'.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

bleme

Reaction score
Are you putting both chillers in the same pot or use one as a pre-chiller? Two hoses in and two hoses out or are you thinking about tying them together like the Hydra in the GiveAway?

I got 1/2 inch cheap so mine is a single 50' and works great. It's overkill on my 5 gallon batches.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am not sure this is exactly what you had in mind, but I made 2 chillers out of 20ft tubing sections for a total of 40ft. I coiled one tighter than the other so it will fit inside the bigger one. In the summer I put one in a bucket of ice water to cool the incoming water. In the winter, when the cold water is icy, both go in the BK.

If you buy commercial ones you will be unlikely to use them both in the pot since they will be the same size.

vinylrooster

Reaction score
OP
G

gotbags-10

Reaction score
I was thinking about tying them together like the hydra chiller. I heard that a 50ft 3/8 coil isn't very efficient because after 25 feet or so the water is already hot so the last 25 feet dosent give you much cooling. Or should I use one as a pre-chiller?

mbbransc

Reaction score
I have a 25' 3/8" chiller I use in the winter/spring. I use it as a pre-chiller in the summer and use a 50' 1/2" chiller in the summer.

jhoyda

Reaction score
Getting ready to build an immersion chiller. I was thinking about getting a 50' length of coil and making two 25 foot chillers tied together. I figured it would be better than a single 50' chiller or a single 25'.
That's what I have. Two cold lines in, two hot lines out. Combined with whirlpooling with a pump it gets the wort below 80° in less than 15 minutes.