Anyone using Little Giant 2-md pumps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commonwealth

Reaction score
Hey anyone out there using the little giant 2-md pumps? I am building up a brutus 10 system and will be using an immersion/recirculating chiller. I am curious to hear from people who have used this 2-MD model as it is only rated to 150 F for liquid temps. I keep hearing that "really only applies when the pump is at max pressure"

My sparge water is never over 170 F and I wont be moving the boiling wort, except perhaps to sanitize. Anyone have any input?

There's more than one pump in the 2-MD series and they have different temperature ratings. I have a LG 3-MD-HT-SC rated at 200F max temp and I've been using it for about six years with no problems and I regularly pump near boiling water and wort with it. It has a Ryton pump head, not the white polypropylene material. The cost difference is not very much:

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/...ive-Pump-6-power-cord-(578603)/57399/Cat/1006

You would probably be OK with the polypropylene pump head, but I can't speak from experience on that, so it's only speculation on my part. Yes, the temperature ratings are the working limit at line pressures. IIRC, most materials lose strength when exposed to high temperatures. These pumps are designed for use in closed, pressurized systems (among other applications) where the pressures can approach 200 psi. We home brewers subject the pumps to only a fraction of that, so the temp limit is not really relevant. Still, I would go with the Ryton material with the 200F rating for the little difference in cost.

Why not just use the 2-MD-HC? It is rated to 200F

http://www.little-giantpump.com/md_high_new.htm

I used the 3-MD-HC on my 10 gallon Brutus 20 that is for sale here... they are wicked fast pumpers! My new system is getting the 5-MD-HC pumps. Little Giant makes a great pump, no more March 809 squeal!

+1 That's the Ryton head version, although the prices are too high at that site IMO. You can get a much better deal elsewhere. The 3-MD-HT-SC has a little more oomph, but it's also a little more money. I've never owned a March, but my LG sure runs more quietly than the March pumps I've seen used. Other than cleaning, it has been maintenance free for a very long time. Very reliable work horse.

Little Giants IMHO are a better pump...

Id have to recommend the 3- series for a 10 gallon setup and the 5- for 20+ gallons. Once you figure in restrictions, you arent going to see charted flow, so you have to consider that.

I can find the 3- pumps for $205 now, the 5- pumps for about $305

The LG pumps are so quiet that my 105CFM muffin fan drowns them out when I have them BOTH running.

Like Catt said, rock solid pumps, Id go for the Ryton head

So little giant gave me the standard "our pumps are not food grade and do not recommend them for that application" I ponied up and bought the 3-md-hc

Catt22 you found the same place I did, www.plumbersurplus.com had the best price I could come up with after about a month of watching and searching.

Back