Anyone using beersmith with eBIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavrick1903

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have some questions about using an eKeggle/eBIAB with Beersmith. I'm getting some frustrations with water volume/boil times. Did back to back batches and was a gallon short on one, and 1.25-1.5 gallons over after extending the perscribed 30 min boil to 75 min. (trying to reduce the volume)

Here are some thoughts that might help you get the software dialed into your particular needs.
First, I don't think that they type of heat that you are using is necessary to make the program work. You mentioned that you have an electric BIAB system. I am assuming that the fact that you have an electric system is irrelevant, except for the fact that you may have a different boil off rate. To remedy that, there is a place in BeerSmith where you can specify your boil off rate. (I am not sure if it is in the equipment profile or not, but it is there).
Second, you mention that you do BIAB. You should choose a mash profile that has one of the BIAB options. I don't know if you are doing BIAB with a full water volume and no sparge, or if you are doing a sparge, but there should be an option there that will match your needs.
The second part should be easy to do. To help with the first part, you might fill your kettle with the amount of water that you normally would use for the start of your boil - make sure that you know the beginning volume. Bring the volume of water to a boil and boil it for the time that you want. You mentioned that you did a 30 minute boil (which might be a little short, but will most affect hop utilization). Do the boil for your preferred time, and when you have reached that time, measure the volume of water left in the kettle. Using your beginning volume, final volume, and boil time, you can calculate your boil off rate. Then use this figure in BeerSmith to help with future batches.
I hope that this helps.

Mark

Back