anyone using a hop spider with immersion chiller?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ilikeguns

Reaction score
I only brew IPAs and have been throwing my pellet hops right in the kettle. I'm loosing too much wort and cleanup is a PITA, so I'm thinking about investing in a hop spider.

I do 5 gallon batches in a converted sanke keg and throw my 1/2"x50' immersion chiller in the boil during the last 15 minutes. Is anyone using a hop spider with an immersion chiller? If so, how? i'm trying to figure out a way to use both.. I'd like to get one that is 8 5/8" OD but it wont fit inside my chiller and I'm concerned the 6 5/8" wont get me the same hop utilization.

logdrum

Reaction score
I've actually gone the opposite direction, I recently switched from hop spider/plate chiller to free balling/immersion chiller. I used a 7" OD stainless mesh tube that I made from 30x30 screening. The wort loss is about the same, clean up is a bit easier with the spider, but on big IPAs I just factor in an extra 1/2 gal or so.

Schumed

Reaction score
I only brew IPAs and have been throwing my pellet hops right in the kettle. I'm loosing too much wort and cleanup is a PITA, so I'm thinking about investing in a hop spider.

I do 5 gallon batches in a converted sanke keg and throw my 1/2"x50' immersion chiller in the boil during the last 15 minutes. Is anyone using a hop spider with an immersion chiller? If so, how? i'm trying to figure out a way to use both.. I'd like to get one that is 8 5/8" OD but it wont fit inside my chiller and I'm concerned the 6 5/8" wont get me the same hop utilization.
Got a spray bottle and fill it with star san...then just sanitize with the spray bottle when you ready to chill

OP
ilikeguns

ilikeguns

Reaction score
Got a spray bottle and fill it with star san...then just sanitize with the spray bottle when you ready to chill
I was thing that, but doesn't starsan dissolve the copper?

OP
ilikeguns

ilikeguns

Reaction score
Never heard of that??? I do this myself and never had a problem

Don't fear the foam ;)
Starsan is an acid.. I don't fear the foam, but I do fear dissolved metals..:D

GotPushrods

Reaction score
ilikeguns said:
Starsan is an acid.. I don't fear the foam, but I do fear dissolved metals..:D
Copper is fine pre-fermentation. The yeast will take it up. They actually like a little copper in their trace element diet.

Beer wort is slightly acidic as well and shines up your chiller too. If you were dropping lead ingots in your BK that's a different story, but don't sweat a little Star-San on copper.

masonsjax

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I use a paint strainer bag spring clamped to a strip of wood long enough to sit across the top of my kettle. It's easy to move aside when it's time for the immersion chiller.

billl

Reaction score
If you make DIY hop spider, you can fit it right inside the immersion chiller. 5 gallon paint straining bags are flexible enough to fit in pretty much any configuration.

OP
ilikeguns

ilikeguns

Reaction score
thanks everyone for the input.. based on the feedback i'm gonna try the paint strainer in a strainer that came with my turkey fryer.. just need to widen the opening of my keggle. Im debating about using the strainer at all but i figure it might make it easier to add the hops.

2013-12-11 07.57.43.jpg