Anyone using a dewijohn?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeverDie

Reaction score
The extra headspace is attractive. However, is there an airtight bung with an airlock hole for these things?

Buckets and big mouth fermenters are great as primaries. There is no issue of too much "headroom" in a primary. The issue is when you use this as a secondary or to age a wine. Then you want as little volume of air above the surface of the wine or mead as is possible. But if you are fermenting fruit or you have a vigorous fermentation, a narrow neck and a bung is (IMO) the last thing you need. A towel to keep out dirt and pets (and kids) is perfectly adequate.

Buckets and big mouth fermenters are great as primaries. There is no issue of too much "headroom" in a primary. The issue is when you use this as a secondary or to age a wine. Then you want as little volume of air above the surface of the wine or mead as is possible. But if you are fermenting fruit or you have a vigorous fermentation, a narrow neck and a bung is (IMO) the last thing you need. A towel to keep out dirt and pets (and kids) is perfectly adequate.

Well, you're right about that, as I learned to my sorrow once trying to make a cantaloupe mead. The foam turned solid and popped the airlock off, and by the time I caught it, the fruit flies were having a feast.

OTOH, that these babies are made of glass is something I find rather attractive. Call me backwards, but glass just has that "Hey, I'm inert, don't worry!" vibe to it.

Well, you're right about that, as I learned to my sorrow once trying to make a cantaloupe mead. The foam turned solid and popped the airlock off, and by the time I caught it, the fruit flies were having a feast.

OTOH, that these babies are made of glass is something I find rather attractive. Call me backwards, but glass just has that "Hey, I'm inert, don't worry!" vibe to it.

I like the glass aspect as well. I had a look at a demijohn up close, and it's pretty thick glass, which is a definite plus.

Alternately, Walmart sells a 2.5 gallon glass barrel jar for just $15, so I picked up one of those. Made by Ankor Hocking. The bottom is just flat enough that I can put it on a stirplate.

Yup. That's it. I was looking at those just a few days ago. I was thinking it would be great for JAOM and similar recipies.

Yup. That's it. I was looking at those just a few days ago. I was thinking it would be great for JAOM and similar recipies.

Me too. I've read about people fumbling their 5 gallon glass carboys and getting injurred from the resulting glass shrapnel (not to mention a huge mess), but I think I can probably handle 2.5 gallons without having an accident like that. I figure ferment a two gallon batch and have a half gallon of headroom. That would make it roughly 20 pounds, which is a lot easier to lift (and not drop) than a 40+ pound thing.

Last edited:
Well, this guy claims that antimony can leach into your drink from PET plastic if it's stored at higher than room temperature:

Ugh. This is why glass just sounds better.

MoreBeer has the 4 gallon demijohns on sale now for less than $30, so I ordered one to try out.

Time to scale up!

Reporting back: On wednesday I received the 4 gallon demijohn. Even fresh out of the box both the glass vessel and the plastic carrier were covered in heavy dirt-like dust--LOL, just like the one at my LHBS, so I assume they simply all arrive that way straight from Italy, if indeed that is where they are actually made.

The glass itself appears to be a green soda lime type glass. It's a thick glass, though it does have some air bubbles in it. I guess the overall thickness may engender enough strength to compensate for the air bubbles. As a whole, the vessel gives the appearance of having been made at the early part of the last century.

Anyhow, I was able to fill it with 165F water without cracking it, and that's good enough for efficiently putting oxyclean to work on it, which is what I did.

Given the price and the free rapid FedEx delivery, and its ability to take some heat without cracking, I have no complaints. I look forward to fermenting my first large sized batch of mead in it.

:ban:

P.S It did come with a non-airtight lid that fits it, so that's a nice bonus. However, I do need to find an air-tight bung for it so that I can install an airlock on it.

Last edited:
Back