Anyone use this low pressure regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlyingSparge

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm modifying my gas system for PID. Single tier system with 10" banjos. Right now the plan is to have HLT & MT PID controlled which requires low pressure to Honeywell valve. BP will remain high pressure manual operation since I've heard the low pressure might sacrifice ability to get to a fast rolling boil.

I've attached a diagram of my plan. Wondering if anyone has experience with the regulator. Link below. I've also attached an image of my current setup prior to modification. Everything would be built off the gas bar.

https://www.mccombssupply.com/gas-pressure-regulator-1-2-x-1-2-natural-5-lp-10-4600s0002/

propane setup.jpg

IMG_1577 2.jpg

I can't find any performance data for that single-stage regulator, which would keep me from buying it.

You'll want a gas volume capable of supporting those burners, which likely will run around 50-70KBTU each.
[edit] Just noticed you were thinking of using two regulators. If you can find some data that supports the burner rating you'd be good with two regs.

Otoh you could run all three on a single regulator if it can handle the volume.
Find a regulator that has at least 150KBTU rating - which afaict will lead you to a dual-stage 11"WC regulator like this Camco unit.

I also found a dual-stage model at Lowes that's sold under a number of brand labels and retailers (Wally World and Home Depot for two more).
Advertised as 200KBTU - and a bit on the pricey side...

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can find ratings on the burner varying from ~70 to 220K btu, depending on the pressure range of the supplied regulator.
Blichmann is at the low end of that range with their claim, using a 10psi max regulator, while Bayou Classic is at the high end with their 30 psi max regulator.

On 11" WC propane I suspect ~50K is about the limit, hence my earlier statement...

Cheers!

Back