Anyone use something like this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would depend on how far you are wanting to go with your gas line. Call a plumber. I agree with spartan though, you are going to need to vent out the CO and steam that is being generated. A typical kitchen exhaust fan should suffice depending on the size of the room. I suggest going electric though.

I'd be more concerned about the cost to add adequate ventilation.

100_0563.JPG

the floor in this room is already tiles, and all i use it for now is storing my barley and brew kettle...so i was thinking of just plopping something like that down in front of the window with a box fan exhausting.... should help keep the house cooler on brew days too....brewing on the stove in the kitchen heats the house up pretty bad...

View attachment 621245

the floor in this room is already tiles, and all i use it for now is storing my barley and brew kettle...so i was thinking of just plopping something like that down in front of the window with a box fan exhausting.... should help keep the house cooler on brew days too....brewing on the stove in the kitchen heats the house up pretty bad...
That will work but on a hot day you will wish you had an exhaust fan instead. I know this from experience LOL

That will work but on a hot day you will wish you had an exhaust fan instead. I know this from experience LOL

i don't think it'd be as bad as when i use the kitchen stove...I have to run three box fans, in three different windows, and it's still 90f in the house...14 gals of water boiling away :) But it's better then spending $5-6 bucks on propane for a batch!

I have seen a similar burner if not that exact same one in a commercial kitchen. It was a Korean restaurant and they use it for a wok. The flame looked like a jet engine LOL. He said you have to use a really hot flame for stir fry. So yeah it should work well for boiling water fast.

looking at the pics of this on the website, it's made exactly for BIG stock pots....at least that's what they show in one of the pics...think i'll call a...plumber? plumbers do gas line too? and ask about how much it'll cost to do gas line about 6' from the gas in of the house which is basically right on the other side of that wall....lol

Yeah plumber. I don’t know what the cost is there but the low end cost for a plumber in my area is around $120 per hour and I have seen upwards of $200 for the high. If your gas line is properly bonded to your electrical panel then you could use CSST flexible gas pipe which would save you a little money. If they have to run black pipe I would estimate a minimum of 2 hours and about $100 in supplies.

I'd be more interested in electric. No excess heat from the sides that doesn't go into heating the pot, no concerns about asphyxiation....and your cost might be pretty similar, especially considering what one of those units cost plus the cost of running the nat gas line.

Another advantage to electric is you can be comfortable leaving the room while the kettle heats. I have a Blichman Hellfire and I never felt comfortable leaving my garage for even a minute with that thing going. In fact, they have about 7 safety warnings admonishing one not to use it in a garage, under an overhang, or in an enclosed space.

But I can turn on the kettle filled with water and do other brew-day things while it heats up, without concern that the house might burn down.

Just a thought...

High BTU commercial stuff like that has larger setbacks from flammable walls, etc than home use stuff. Some equipment in some places would also require a ANSUL fire suppression system in hood. I'd check local code before I purchased.

Around here calling a plumber might or might not get someone with gas license, and would certainly trigger a visit from gas inspector.

If you are as avid a brewer as your postings imply, I also wonder why you just don't go electric. Even if you have to get a electrician, the wiring would be less of a job than piping gas line.

I agree that it is a fire hazard, and a possible asphyxiation hazard, and that electric is a way better option. You should do what works best for you though. You should also check your local building codes as mentioned but you would not have to get the equipment inspected. Only the gas line would be inspected and I highly doubt any local jurisdiction would require an ANSUL system in a single family residence. Well unless you live in California or New York then maybe LOL

i don't think it'd be as bad as when i use the kitchen stove...I have to run three box fans, in three different windows, and it's still 90f in the house...14 gals of water boiling away :) But it's better then spending $5-6 bucks on propane for a batch!

Propane must be REALLY expensive where you are. I am using somewhere between $2.75 and $3.25 per batch... I use a turkey fryer burner and a Bayou Classic SP10. I am sure those are NOT efficient burners.

Propane must be REALLY expensive where you are. I am using somewhere between $2.75 and $3.25 per batch... I use a turkey fryer burner and a Bayou Classic SP10. I am sure those are NOT efficient burners.

i brew 10 gal batches? might be why my price is double that....

so you guys are pushing me to electric....hmph, i was thinking about it a bit back, 1 dollar extra a batch would kinda be worth being able to brew outside again...i already have a 220v plug next to the back door for a dryer....just need to drill a hole in my pot and get a weldless thingy ma jig....element, controller, extension cord...

lol, damn it! then 10 gals would cost me $9 instead of $8.....(and i'm only half kidding)

ok, ok, i appreciate all the input...i'll look into elec some more...i just hate space heaters and my A/C...so don't like electricity for temp control...

I just sold my brew rig because I quit brewing recently but it isn’t too difficult to make one and would cost less than what you are planning. It would also be much safer and care free once you have it up and running.

...i just hate space heaters and my A/C...so don't like electricity for temp control...

Propane is really expensive here, which is why I went electric. But I was pleasantly surprised how much time the electric heat saved too, and the speed of response is so fast that I no longer need foam control to prevent boil overs. And I don't have to worry about overshooting strike and sparge water temps, set controller and go do something else.

an 80,000btu burner will generate much more wasted heat than a stove... electric will be much cooler since all the heat is release in the liquid instaed of wasting 80% of it around the outside of the kettle into the atmosphere... Just saying. ( I have burners like that on the stove in the kitchen of my brewpub...)an extensive exhaust and makeup air system was needed along with the ansul fire suppression system to be legal and "safe".

if you dont want all the electric controls and such just get something like a stilldragon electric controller.. they are like %75 fully assembled with the additional hardware and you control the heat level with an old fashioned knob.

Back