Anyone use Powdered Brewery Wash??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowmax10

Reaction score
I head them talking about it on brew strong

any comments on this cleaner?

I use it, I love it... it is cheap, effective... what is there to know?

I use Star San and PBW for everything... effective and user friendly. I do a PBW wash on my HERMS while the boil is going. Then rinse with clean water.

Thanks - I was just wondering if this guy wash pushing it for other reasons

Really though, I don't like starsan - I know you guys say "don't fear the foam"

but I just can't bring myself to rack my beer into a vessel that is full of foam

PBW is a cleaner, not a sanitizer. Get over your foam fears, or switch to a non-foaming no-rinse sanitizer like IO-Star or Iodophor.

I use PBW, and I love it, but it's a cleaning agent. You can't sanitize with what is effectively soap.

Meh, I have and use both Oxiclean and PBW. I wouldn't say that either one works better than the other, except that Oxiclean is better for label removal. I'd say use whichever one is cheaper, they both seem to work equally well for cleaning.

I started using PBW when the One-Step that came with my kit ran out. It's a great cleaner. For sanitizing, I switched from acidified bleach to Star San and never looked back. The foam is not an issue; while I was a bit apprehensive at the amount at first, it has no effect on the finished beer.

Yeah I knew that

I'm currently using oxiclean and this guys says PBW is much better

Here is my take on oxiclean/PBW choice:

Oxiclean is cheaper and works well for 90% of my applications, except...

If you live somewhere with hard water, you will notice that oxiclean leaves a residue that requires an acid rinse to get off, PBW will not leave that.

PBW is also safe on aluminum and copper. Oxiclean should be used with caution on these metals.

PBW will also be more effective on that black-burnt-on crap that is left when you burn something. Say if you burn your starter to charcoal on one of SWMBO's nice pots, an overnight soak in PBW will get that off.

Do not use PBW on Teflon coated items.

In general if I can't get it clean with oxiclean, then I turn to PBW.

I do an Oxy wash after each use on my brewery. But about every 3rd batch I will do a complete system PBW wash and I am freeken amazed how much more stuff comes out of the system after a PBW wash.

+1 for the PBW StarSan combo

Buy in bulk and save yourself some money. I bought the 4lb tub last time and I'm already wishing I had gone ahead with the 8lb.

PBW makes short work of carboy nastiness. I used it once in my aluminum kettle and it left a very noticeable "stain". The area that was submerged in PBW is now a much darker gray color. Sounds like it should be safe though.

Here is my take on oxiclean/PBW choice:

Oxiclean is cheaper and works well for 90% of my applications, except...

If you live somewhere with hard water, you will notice that oxiclean leaves a residue that requires an acid rinse to get off, PBW will not leave that.

I've never used PBW...only Oxyclean, but I was under the impression (according to "How to Brew") that any polycarbonate based cleaner will leave the residue with extended soaks in hard water. I have pretty friggin' hard water and hate how closely I have to watch how long I soak my gear to keep the residue from forming.

Has anyone gotten that residue from PBW?

If no one has then my next purchase will include the biggest tub of PBW that I can get.

I have been using Oxyclean since the beginning of my brewing days. I thought I would give PBW a shot after listening to that Brew Strong podcast. In short it's exponentially more expensive and I didn't notice it doing any better of a job. If you have hard water there probably would be a difference, but I have a water softener and Oxyclean works incredibly well and just as fast if not faster than PBW.

I wouldn't say PBW is cheaper but, that didn't stop me from buying a 50 pound pail of the stuff. I have hard water and it's about the only thing that really works for me but, I still have to acid rinse for scale deposits.

I get the deposits when I use Oxi-Clean.....well water, very hard. PBW leaves no deposits. Therefore the difference in price is something I'm willing to pay. Got the 1 lb. the first time, 4 lbs. now.

I have been using Oxyclean since the beginning of my brewing days. I thought I would give PBW a shot after listening to that Brew Strong podcast. In short it's exponentially more expensive and I didn't notice it doing any better of a job. If you have hard water there probably would be a difference, but I have a water softener and Oxyclean works incredibly well and just as fast if not faster than PBW.

For dried krausen and tubing and most general cleaning, the PBW works much better for me. YMMV

I just use Sun Oxygen Cleaner, the stuff is incredibly cheap. I do, however, always rinse everything down with a StarSan solution when I'm done to get any hard water residues off.

Just for giggles I gave Oxyclean a try last night on a 6.5 glass carboy.

I am not impressed. First of all it creates a soapy foam that made filling the carboy to the top a hassle (for me anyway, I have to use the spray nozzle to fill because carboy wont fit under faucet). After 30min soak and rinse I still had krausen on the sides.

It may be more expensive, but I'll stick with PBW.

PBW is also safe on aluminum and copper.

PBW will also be more effective on that black-burnt-on crap that is left when you burn something. Say if you burn your starter to charcoal on one of SWMBO's nice pots, an overnight soak in PBW will get that off.

Do not use PBW on Teflon coated items.

I hadn't realized I could use it on aluminum.

I have this enormous aluminum lobster pot with a tap on the side for drainage. PBW doesn't damage the oxidized layer of the aluminum?

Back