Anyone use one of these? Fermentap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC someone here bought something like that (to convert a carboy into a conical) and now uses it for something like a drying stand (or some other equally usefull but not-quite-designed-for purpose)
edit: then again, i may be wrong as i dont see a stand in there, just a valve

ORRELSE said:
There have been a couple threads on this in the past. I don't believe anyone in this forum really uses one.

Yeah, I posted one a while back, it seemed like the consences was that the angled part of the carboy is not steep enought for the yeast to really slide down the side. The side of most conicals are about 60 the caroby are close to 30.

I bought one and used it for my last beer. It works well enough if you work within its limits. As stated, the sides are not really steep enough to get all of the sediment out, but it will get most of it. You also have to be very careful that it doesn't get clogged because once it does, you're in for an unpleasant time. It is a must to drain the sediment within the first 24 hours, even better if you filter the wort beforehand.
It does come with a stand which will hold up the filled carboy, but put it somewhere it can't get knocked over as it isn't increadibly stable. It's just one of the drying racks.
If you work with it, it eliminates racking and makes bottling a breeze.
I will probably use it again, but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Latest posts

Back