anyone use non noble hops in a hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veedo

Reaction score
was thinking of brewing up another hefe soon, but in my freezer full of hops there are none of the noble variety. Anyone ever have success using citra, glacier, etc? Think it would change the flavor much if they were just used as 60 minute bittering additions?

I usually use regular American high-alpha hops (Chinook, etc) in hefe's before and they turn out fine.

Since I make them in America, with American-made Hefe yeast (WY3638) I guess they'd be American Hefes. At around 10 IBU I doubt anyone could tell a difference.

FWIW German brewers can use hop extract and hop powder under the Reinheitsgebot. So if want to make an "authentic" Hefe, feel free to use those.

Currently drinking a 13 BU Hef using Magnum and Cascade... it's great!

Currently drinking a 13 BU Hef using Magnum and Cascade... it's great!

Tis what i like to hear fellas. I'm not trying to win any medals by brewing to style, as long as it tastes good and has weizen qualities I'm a happy man. I wouldn't think it would make a huge difference but figured I'd check.:rockin:

Back