Anyone use HBC 342 for bittering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divrguy

Reaction score
I recently did a SMASH of the HBC342 hop and I can say I really did not like the flavor of the hop by itself. Too cheap candy tasting to me. Anyway, has anyone used it just to bitter? I have a few ounces I was going to just use for bittering in hopes in would not impart any flavor but if it does..I'm gonna toss it. Let me know.

I've found that it works well when combined with Chinook and/or Simcoe...almost as an Amarillo substitute...
I've been using it that way for my FW Union Jack and Double Jack clones with good results.

LeSinge said:
I've found that it works well when combined with Chinook and/or Simcoe...almost as an Amarillo substitute...
I've been using it that way for my FW Union Jack and Double Jack clones with good results.

Are you using in equal amounts with the other bittering hops? I hate to waste it but it just doesn't taste right by itself.

I should have been more clear: I use it for late additions, in combination with other hops.
I found success using it in place of Amarillo (at about 75% ratio: 1oz Amarillo=.75oz HBC) especially with hops that have contrasting or stronger characteristics.
I does ok when combined with Cascade/Centennial, but works better with anything resin/dank.

Back