Anyone use DAP as a yeast nutrient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

terrencepickles

Reaction score
Title says it. Getting ready to brew some high gravity beers and have some of this on hand. I would like to know if I can add this to help the yeast make it all the way through.

Thoughts?

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You can use it but making a large starter or pitching your wort on fresh yeast cake would be better. DAP will not guaranty a healthy start. DAP is for stalled fermentations or wines with little nutrients.

Google; Mr Malty for a pitching calculator.

shuf

Reaction score
If you’re thinking about brewing 1.090+ beers, definitely do a little reading first. I just finished up “Radical Brewing” and there was a great section on brewing big beers. The advice that I’ve taken in so far is: use plenty of yeast (mrmalty from above), spend time adding oxygen to your wort, and substituting 10%-20% of good sugar in place of DME can help the beer finish.

junior

Reaction score
If you’re thinking about brewing 1.090+ beers, definitely do a little reading first. I just finished up “Radical Brewing” and there was a great section on brewing big beers. The advice that I’ve taken in so far is: use plenty of yeast (mrmalty from above), spend time adding oxygen to your wort, and substituting 10%-20% of good sugar in place of DME can help the beer finish.
Shuf, I know this is a old thread but I had a problem with stuck fermentation and was doing some research, what do you mean by good sugars?

shuf

Reaction score
By good, I meant high quality sugar. If you use it to bake it's probably good enough, and your lhbs should have corn sugar (dextrose) if you want that.

Latest posts