Anyone use citrus with WLP320 yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
I have a vial of White Labs 320 American Hefe yeast. It's supposed be less banana/clove nosed than the 300.

However, after talking to SWMBO and my sister (both of whom I'm making the brew for), they want some citrus. So I'm going to add the zest of 3-5 oranges at flameout.

Anyone use the 320, or even the 300 with citrus? If so, does the hefe yeast clash with the citrus flavors/nose? Should I store that hefe vial and just buy a vial of some wit (WLP400 or even the WLP380)?

:rockin:

Yep, 320, and it worked well. It ended up with a very citrus nose and just a touch of citrus flavor. I steeped my oranges/zest in 160 degree water for about 20 minutes, then covered, and later added to the cooled wort. Adding it at flameout would probably be about the same, but the higher temp might drive off some aroma. Others use vodka to sterilize the fruit before adding to the fermenter.

Back