Anyone use brewtarget?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor_Wily

Reaction score
I'm a Linux Admin by day so I tend to look for open source software for most anything I am doing. I found a piece of software called brewtarget I plan to throw on my linux box and try out. Anyone else messed with it? Sounds like it's made for linux, mac and windows OS.

Link for any of those interested.
http://brewtarget.sourceforge.net/

Cheers!

Ya I use it, although I have little to no programming experience so the open source nature isn't useful beyond the fact that it's free. There is fairly decent support for it, and you can check the brewing software subforum and read the thread there.

From what I hear, it is fairly similar to BeerSmith, but I have no personal experience there, so you'd have to judge for yourself. I'm still a fairly new brewer but I haven't found anything lacking thus far.

The only problem I've run into thus far is exporting the recipe files. I can't get excel to recognize the file, and HBT won't allow it as a .xml upload. But I haven't reported any issues or done any realy looking in to finding a resolution, so it's possible that there is a fix out there.

I use brewtarget on ubuntu and am very pleased with it. I also use brewr and my Android phone, however I prefer brewtarget.

Back