anyone use brewhouse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronin

Reaction score
The brew house

just curious if these are any good?... looks like a good site and they claim the all grain process they use is producing superior results...

they sell these kits at a LHBS in my city for about $38 Canadian...

Yes, these kits IMO are very good. I've done 3 of them so far and i really like them. Basically pour wort, add 8L of water, then follow the rest of the instructions. Pretty hard to screw up, just keep an eye on the date as some LHBS might have old stock if not selling many....

also, $38 cdn is kinda high priced....they're $30 around here....not sure why the higher cost up where you're at. Usually everything is more expensive here...LOL.

Fantastic kits. It's all grain sept the 8 liters you add. This is where hacking the kit becomes fun. There's a few of us that do this with great results.

This might be the wort produced from that farm/malting house/brewery my Dad said he saw on the news a couple nights ago. It's in Saskabush somewhere. Of course he forgot the name and the town (and he's from Saskatchewan originally!)

sounds good, I will probably grab an IPA kit from them for my next brew, or the holiday spice one...

so you can then screw around with steeping specialty grains and adding hops etc to create something different? sounds fun

Yup they even have a few recipes on their site. Check it out...

The brew house

I'd try without mods first. You really want to see how great the beer comes out as is. Then the next one you could tweak it to your liking :ban:

Hey Memorex, i see you did the cream ale.....brewhouse? how do you like it.....thinking of doing that one for my next brewhouse...just looking for some feedback as nobody i know has done that one. Anything to compare it to commercially?

These kits are the highest quality beer kits money can buy, and are extremely easy to brew. I have lots of buddies who have won many competition medals by hacking these kits (even an MCAB medal).

I can't put my finger on them right now, but I have posted on this topic a few times, and have posted some great 'recipes' to try with these kits. With some steeping grains and different yeast and different amounts of top-up water, you can make some very different types of beer.

Denny -- the brewery in Saskatoon you are thinking of is Paddock Wood, I believe.

Hey Memorex, i see you did the cream ale.....brewhouse? how do you like it.....thinking of doing that one for my next brewhouse...just looking for some feedback as nobody i know has done that one. Anything to compare it to commercially?

hmm the cream ale is hard to point to a commercial beer. From the commercial beers I drink, the best I can think of is a mix between Newcastle and Molson Dry. (if you can imagine that)
It's really good but I've tweaked (I don't like the work hacked) the last 2 I've made.

Another one I've been working on is a Kilkenny clone. I've come real close to the taste using the Munich Dark Lager + DME and cascade and fuggle hops.

PM me if you want some recipes.

I'm still trying to figure out how to use these kits into beersmith. FlyGuy is helping me out on this but I'm not getting far and loose patients and go back to my notes.

$38 is too much. I get mine for 10 bucks less. That being said, these are good super easy kits. I have done the pale ale, pilsner and american premium lager is in the 2ndary right now.

$38 is too much. I get mine for 10 bucks less. That being said, these are good super easy kits. I have done the pale ale, pilsner and american premium lager is in the 2ndary right now.

Yes I think you should haggle the price down. I get mine at 32. It used to be 26 last year but the HOP prices cost everyone :(

Drustanos how did you like the pilsner? I haven't tried that one yet.

I have never made one, but one of our club members did a pilsner kit with a real German pilsner yeast (Wyeast 2206 I believe) and lagered it properly. It was fantastic.

Drustanos how did you like the pilsner?

Its pretty good. Tastes like a lighter, slightly more bitter verson of the pale ale.

Which ones have you done, and which was your favorite?

Edit: I guess I could have just looked under your post with whats in your keg.

I've done 4 of them so far, and tweaked (hacked) two of them. The Red Ale isn't too bad but it's kind of boring.
The Honey Blonde turned out great, but I added an extra 1kg of honey to it, so I called it a Double Honey Blonde. It was fantastic actually, my wife loved it. I have two bottles of it left that she's saving for a "special" occassion.
On their website they have 5 different ways of tweaking their kits. I'm doing the Russian Imperial Oatmeal Stout that they suggested. Was my first time steeping grains. It's got at least another month to go, to finish bottle conditioning, but I have tasted a bottle already and it's tasty! They'll be ready just in time for my 40th (the big F-O). That should make the night a little more memorable.

Its pretty good. Tastes like a lighter, slightly more bitter verson of the pale ale.

Which ones have you done, and which was your favorite?

Edit: I guess I could have just looked under your post with whats in your keg.

Yes all those in the signature are all Brew House Kits I've tried and the 2 creams and Munich Dark I tweaked. Before that I made them straight like the kit says.

I will shop around a bit... the website states a few places in saskatoon that sell em, only seen em at the one place so far... a $10 difference is pretty significant in my eyes.

I'm doing the Russian Imperial Oatmeal Stout that they suggested.

Your definitely going to have to tell us how this turns out!

Another one I'd like to try is the Imperial India Pails of Ale, but that's got 8 oz of hops and at $4 an oz that the price of a whole other kit!

I don't think it's paddockwood. I'm not sure what town. There was a thing on the news about how they were a grain farm then got into malting, then opened their own brewery and sell the wort (and beer?) in kits.

Well, I've tried two bottles of it so far. One after it'd been bottle for 2 weeks, one after it'd been bottled for a month, and so far I'm giving it two thumbs up.
I was spot on with the OG - 1.080, and the FG was 1.010, so that'll give me 9.1%. not too bad.

another great example and argument to the great market opportunity for anyone in the grainbelt to start a large-ish fully organic hop yard. $$$$$$$$

I've made 2 of them. Honey Blonde Ale and the Winterfest Ale. I just bought the Mexican Cerveza kit and will be using the Wyeast 2112 yeast.

I made the Honey Blonde, it was my very first batch. Turned out good. I did it according to the directions.......next time i make it, i may add some extra honey to it. I don't like adding or hacking these kits until i try the original first...gives ya something to compare to. :mug:

Carrion and others that have tried the Honey Blonde. I have that kit (as my first ever). Any pointers or things to avoid.

I added an extra kilo of honey to it when I made it and it turned out fantastic! You may also want to think about using a different type of yeast, if you have access to it, either Wyeast 1099 - Whitbread Ale or 1272 - American Ale II would be a good match, I think.

I added an extra kilo of honey to it when I made it and it turned out fantastic! You may also want to think about using a different type of yeast, if you have access to it, either Wyeast 1099 - Whitbread Ale or 1272 - American Ale II would be a good match, I think.

How did you add the honey? to the primary? did you boil it in?

The fermentation was quite vigorous. Use a blow off tube for a few days. I used the Coopers yeast that came in the kit. I used Ozarka water. My tap water is horrible.

How did you add the honey? to the primary? did you boil it in?

I added the honey to about 4 cups of boiled water. Stirred it until it was well mixed and then stirred it into the wort before adding the yeast.
I called it my Double Honey Blonde and it was the one beer I've made so far that my wife and quite a few others liked the best. I have two bottles of it left that my wife is keeping for a "special" occasion. Likely when I'm not home so she doesn't have to share them.

thanks for all the great responses, I will probably pick one of these kits up for my next batch (boiling hobgoblin right now - smeells so good in here!)...
probably the winter spicy one whatever it's called... then leave em until the fall....

:mug:

I don't like the dry Cooper's yeast that comes with these kits. The first thing I always do is replace it with a quality liquid yeast, or a better dry yeast. That makes a huge difference. (Save the packet of Cooper's yeast for an emergency, or boil it up for yeast nutrient for your starters.)

The water you add to these kits is also influential. I like to use bottled reverse osmosis water for convenience sake. Otherwise, if you have good tasting tap water, boil it to remove any potential contaminants and remove the chlorine before you use it. Also note that you can adjust the gravity of the beer by playing with the amount of water you add to the kit -- I rarely add it all.

I added the honey to about 4 cups of boiled water. Stirred it until it was well mixed and then stirred it into the wort before adding the yeast.
I called it my Double Honey Blonde and it was the one beer I've made so far that my wife and quite a few others liked the best. I have two bottles of it left that my wife is keeping for a "special" occasion. Likely when I'm not home so she doesn't have to share them.

Awesome...sounds easy enough...can't wait to try this in a few weeks....:mug:

Thanks.

On their website they have 5 different ways of tweaking their kits. I'm doing the Russian Imperial Oatmeal Stout that they suggested. Was my first time steeping grains. It's got at least another month to go, to finish bottle conditioning, but I have tasted a bottle already and it's tasty! They'll be ready just in time for my 40th (the big F-O). That should make the night a little more memorable.

Well, we drank quite a few of the Russian Imperial Oatmeal Stouts, on Saturday night. They turned out fantastic! They are seriously drinkable, and finished off at about 9.6% ABV.
Quite a few of my friends brought commercial beers to the party, and left those in my fridge and spent the evening drinking my Oatmeal Stout instead.
I'd definitely recommend this recipe if you're going to try "tweaking" any of the Brewhouse kits.:tank:

Well, we drank quite a few of the Russian Imperial Oatmeal Stouts, on Saturday night. They turned out fantastic! They are seriously drinkable, and finished off at about 9.6% ABV.
Quite a few of my friends brought commercial beers to the party, and left those in my fridge and spent the evening drinking my Oatmeal Stout instead.
I'd definitely recommend this recipe if you're going to try "tweaking" any of the Brewhouse kits.:tank:

I take it your 40 now? HAPPY BIRTHDAY :mug:

Sounds like this brew is awesome and you had a good time Saturday. :tank:

Congrats and tnx for sharing the experience.

Back