Anyone use a Spike Flex + as a still? If so, how? Show me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I own and brew with an SS brewtech 1V and kettle.
I ferment in a Spike flex+

What would I need to distill aside from the column itself? (And a recommendation on that would be appreciated too)

Thanks, all

I don't, but looking at it it seems pretty easy. You'd need to have a 1.5" heating element and a controller, the lid plus wrap the silicone seal in PTFE tape or replace with a PTFE seal, a column of your choice.

Wouldn't a heating element eventually be dry fired?
It could, yeah. I'd use the lowest triclamp port on it and be careful, possibly even top it off with water or wash(treat it as a big strip) halfway through the run to ensure that it stays submerged.

Last edited:
I'm interested to hear if anyone has actually done this.
Used it without issues. Used PTFE gaskets for all TC ports. Couldn’t get the lid seal wrapped properly, but wasn’t too worried about it. Used the lowest port for eye heating element for a 5.5 G wash. It wasn’t dry fired. I did have to use a 120v 1650W Elment due to the length for it to fit in there. For the column, used a 4” to 2” reducer.

Used it without issues. Used PTFE gaskets for all TC ports. Couldn’t get the lid seal wrapped properly, but wasn’t too worried about it. Used the lowest port for eye heating element for a 5.5 G wash. It wasn’t dry fired. I did have to use a 120v 1650W Elment due to the length for it to fit in there. For the column, used a 4” to 2” reducer.
Finally!! Someone has actually done this and responded! Thanks Alteruser 😁

So did you keep the original lid gasket on or did you use something different? I don’t recall what material it’s made from.

Do you have PTFE gaskets in all TC fittings? I believe Mile Hi Distilling has a 4” but need to double check.

Unfortunately you do need shorter element, so like you I’d use my 1650W. As for the dry firing I would not be concerned during 5-6 gal stripping run, but for spirit run at 30-40% ABV I plan to add an extra gallon of water (bringing total vol to 6 gal) just to be safe.

would like to hear more about how it worked for you and any tips/lessons learned.

Cheers 🍻

Finally!! Someone has actually done this and responded! Thanks Alteruser 😁

So did you keep the original lid gasket on or did you use something different? I don’t recall what material it’s made from.

Do you have PTFE gaskets in all TC fittings? I believe Mile Hi Distilling has a 4” but need to double check.

Unfortunately you do need shorter element, so like you I’d use my 1650W. As for the dry firing I would not be concerned during 5-6 gal stripping run, but for spirit run at 30-40% ABV I plan to add an extra gallon of water (bringing total vol to 6 gal) just to be safe.

would like to hear more about how it worked for you and any tips/lessons learned.

Cheers 🍻
Edit: the Spike Flex Plus lid gasket is EDPM. GIDDYUP….good to go!

Back