anyone use a quick carb motor to filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidman

Reaction score
I recently got a "clarifier" 1 micron filter and used it last night for the first time. Typically I use co2 to push from one keg to the other but that was taking a LONG time and using a decent amount of co2. I hooked up just the motor of a blichmann Quick Carb before the IN line on the filter. It seemed to work ok but it got me thinking about whether or not I could skip a step.
I was thinking of using that motor instead of a co2 powered raking cane and running straight from the carboy through the filter and into corny. That way I don't get a second corny dirty.

Anyone tried anything like that?

The clarifier or Quick Carb?

Sorry I shouldve been specific the clarifier. I was looking at getting the 5 and 1 micron. Use the 5 for most beers and the 1 for beers that really benefit from the extra polish. Such as lagers

Used it for the first time yesterday. The filter fits VERY tightly and I noticed some sections where the curve of the top and bottom notches on the filter housing cut into the rubber on the inside of the filter. I had been using throw away filters before and noticed a big difference in filtering time between the two - like 30 ish minutes at fairly high c02 pressure 10 lb + with the clarifier (1 micron). Both the beers I filtered were cold crashed for about 10 days so I did not end up with a ton of gunk in the filter. I did notice a decent amount of debris when back flushing and rinsing. I had finally decided to purchase one after contemplating for a while and when I finally pulled the trigger More Beer and others were out on the website. I ended up getting one of ebay which shipped from Morebeer ironically enough. I'll let you know how the beers settle out.

I did something like that on my last brew. I have a shurflo 2088 diaphragm pump and a 1 micron reusable filter. I connected the pump-in hose directly to the valve on my fermenter (I use a stainless steel fusti), the pump-out hose to the filter-in, and the filter-out to my purged keg.

It went ok but for some reason that I haven't worked out, there was air in my tubing as it left the filter. This was despite me flusing the system with starsan beforehand. The filter I use has a pressure relief valve so next time I'm going to try playing with that to purge any air properly first.

I thought about doing it the way augiedoggy does it too. That might actually be a little easier... But I don't know how you ensure all the beer actually passes through the filter that way...

I just hook my filter up to my DIY quickcarb (after removing the stone/tee) with quick disconnects and recirculate the beer from the keg through the filter and back into the same keg for 15-20 minutes or so...

I use one of these 1 micron reusable filters though... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WAS...32719447310.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.PtMnng

Hey augiedoggy, do you do this before you use the quickcarb to carb the beer? Or the other way around?

Do you find the beer gets foamed up a lot during the recirculation? I assume you draw from the liquid out and go back in through the gas in?

Hey augiedoggy, do you do this before you use the quickcarb to carb the beer? Or the other way around?

Do you find the beer gets foamed up a lot during the recirculation? I assume you draw from the liquid out and go back in through the gas in?

I filtered before I swapped out for the carb stone. and yes I draw from the liquid out and return through the gas in...

I filtered before I swapped out for the carb stone. and yes I draw from the liquid out and return through the gas in...

Kepler had a great question, how do you know when you have filtered the keg entirely? Is it that you have a good sense of how long it takes to filter 5 gallons through your set up and leave it for that long?
It seems like that time might very on the beer, amount of hops etc.

Kepler had a great question, how do you know when you have filtered the keg entirely? Is it that you have a good sense of how long it takes to filter 5 gallons through your set up and leave it for that long?
It seems like that time might very on the beer, amount of hops etc.

Well my filter housing is transparent ... that and it pumps so many gallons per minute from the bottom and deposites it on the top of the keg so after 20 minutes its a pretty safe bet its all been filtered at least once and likely more.

I just hook my filter up to my DIY quickcarb (after removing the stone/tee) with quick disconnects and recirculate the beer from the keg through the filter and back into the same keg for 15-20 minutes or so...

I use one of these 1 micron reusable filters though... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WAS...32719447310.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.PtMnng

Hey auggiedoggy, I'm going to try out your method this weekend. Could you share a bit more detail on your setup? I assume you are going:

keg liquid out -> pump in/out -> filter in/out -> keg gas in

Is that right?

Once you're satisfied the filtering is done, how do you get the beer that remains in the lines/pump/filter into the keg?

Thanks!

How well do those clean? You can get disposable filters on ebay for less than $1.70 EA (assuming you buy 50 at a time).

I thought about this myself after using my inline filter like 5 times. Going from the fermenter to the transfers keg. Then thru the filter and finally into the finished keg was a pia. Thus I stopped using the filter, my beers pretty clear in the first place ;). If this works and can carbonate at the same time I might have to get one just for that extra polish.

I never ran into the finish keg gas in line. Go through the liquid out line on the finish keg and fill from the bottom up.

Back