Anyone use a forced O2 aerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I took a tour through Smutty's brewery a while ago and they had a pretty intense air injection system for aerating the wort and I thought it was awesome. Does anyone have a homebrew setup for this? Is there a sustainable method? Could one just use an air compressor?

There are a couple of challenges you would have to think about. sanitizing the air, which would include removing the oil from the compressed air, and what would you do when/if you make a fairly big beer and need pure O2?

There are 2 ways to get oxygen into wort:

1) Pure O2 with a stone.
2) Everything else.

From Wyeast: http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_oxygenation.cfm

I use the stone/wand from William Brewing that attaches to a welding grade, small red O2 canister from nearly every hardware store on earth.

I also use the William's Brewing one. I like that it has a rod which makes it easier to handle:
S78.JPG

There are other alternatives too. Some people like to use in-line injection like this one from MoreBeer:
2571.jpg

Also from MoreBeer (and possibly more like what you saw in the pro-brewery):
2078.jpg

Back