Anyone up to date on unemployment insurance?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambledegg81

Flocculation Nation
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The CA unemployment website is, without doubt, the greatest legal crock of crap festering in the world to date, and their phone system is, let's just say, quite a few steps below the DMV.

That said, my situation is this: I've been on unemployment, technically, since about March, but due to a contested claim by my last employer that resulted in 2 separate hearings, I didn't receive benefits until the start of August (retroactive payments for the win!!!). So far, I've exhausted my state benefits, and was automatically enrolled in the Federal extension plan (tier 1, I'm guessing) around the end of October.

With this new legislation that failed in the House today, I keep getting the idea that the Fed is about to rescind on continuing my claim, which has roughly 3 months left of benefits. If this was the case, is it legal for my claim to be canceled simply because the Fed can't "afford" to pay on the claim? I've been looking religiously for another job, but nobody in my area is hiring for EMT's, if you were wondering. (That or they tell me I'm overqualified...been turned down by Best Buy and Sears, FFS...).

Any help appreciated. :mug:

AFAIK, they do not want to not pay you. You should get benefits out to 99 weeks still, I think the latest bill was extending past 99 weeks. I haven't read up on it fully, though, so I might be mistaken.

AFAIK, they do not want to not pay you. You should get benefits out to 99 weeks still, I think the latest bill was extending past 99 weeks. I haven't read up on it fully, though, so I might be mistaken.

I heard it that way as well.

Back