Anyone try those cheap eBay motorized grain mills?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RampantOctopus

RampantOctopus Brews
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry i see that this has been discussed a million times before but I didn’t find a thread that covered this specific model... here’s a dead horse, let’s beat it...

So, I tend to believe that you get what you pay for; as such, I have to believe that this thing is junk— but I’ve got to ask, does anyone here have experience with one of these cheap eBay grain mills? I mean, it costs the same as a real mill, but it’s motorized... could one of these be any good once you get the rollers dialed in?

Thoughts? Just get a corona mill (barley crusher / cereal killer / recommendations?)

Last edited:
Just a FYI...

Velor sells them via their website for $22 less than their eBay listing -- probably to cover fees. Free shipping also. (Posting for informational purposes only!)

Main complaint is that the roller gap tends to wander and needs to be tightened. Apparently people use it for other purposes besides brewing.

I like the description of their company: "...focused on cross-border export e-commerce..."

What's interesting is that they have a facility in Kentucky just down the road from where I work. Of course, that's also in same area as the new Amazon air hub.

Yeah, I'm not seeing a lot of info here to make me reconsider... Seems not worth the money... Rather buy one grain mill that will last. I just don't really understand why the motors on the 'good ones' are so expensive. I gather from the other threads that slow and powerful is expensive to make.

I've seen where folks have used a wiper motor or window motor from a car for powering the mill. Hmm... OK, interesting.
I've been using a little 60 W 50 RPM gear motor for 5 years. Works really well, also works really slow. It's on the list of things I want to upgrade, but it works so well it keeps getting ignored.

IMG_20180315_210022061_LL.jpg

If you are going for cheap when brewing beer, then just buy a keg of Bud Light and skip the entire brewing process
Very original. Way to elevate the conversation.

For anyone who cares, I’m not trying to be cheap, I just don’t see why such a seemingly simple device should cost as much as it does. A basic motor with a little bit of torque has got to be one of the most simple machines made... but I guess not?

Ok I have not brewed I awhile and my stuff is sorta stored in the garage so this the best I can do at the moment.

My original set up was a bucket in a bucket, I got the idea from the ugly junk thread, so when I came up with the idea to motorize it I just mounted the bucket in a old kitchen cabinet that was in the basement of a house I used to rent.

7D3AA93B-C308-48A7-BD8C-9EC16A3CAF66.jpeg
E71080A1-66C1-43BB-B206-FAB56D485A23.jpeg

Here is the motor and gearbox, this is mounted at the base of the steering column.

D1DB204E-41EE-4339-AB0E-F0638C513A3F.jpeg

And this is inside the cabinet, the “joint” is just a piece of heavy duty heater hose that connects the shaft to the mill. I have a more permanent plan but haven’t had the time to get the new pieces welded up. This side is what comes up the column to the steering wheel.

I used to drive this with a car battery but have since acquired a power supply out of an RV and use it to run it, a wall transformer doesn’t supply enough amps to run it.

Very original. Way to elevate the conversation.

For anyone who cares, I’m not trying to be cheap, I just don’t see why such a seemingly simple device should cost as much as it does. A basic motor with a little bit of torque has got to be one of the most simple machines made... but I guess not?
bargain mills are almost never a bargain when you factor in the headache of constant readjustment, motor burnout and stuck grain. I use a hammer drill from Harbor freight to power a monster mill. Trust me, mills should be a buy once, cry once purchase.

@Transamguy77 pretty legit dude!
It works well, not fast at all but I don’t need speed and I can just walk away and let it do it’s thing. I’ve used it for at least 7 years and have put thousands of pounds through it. Every once in awhile the heater hose will break but this heavy duty one has been holding up.

Sorry i see that this has been discussed a million times before but I didn’t find a thread that covered this specific model... here’s a dead horse, let’s beat it...

So, I tend to believe that you get what you pay for; as such, I have to believe that this thing is junk— but I’ve got to ask, does anyone here have experience with one of these cheap eBay grain mills? I mean, it costs the same as a real mill, but it’s motorized... could one of these be any good once you get the rollers dialed in?

Thoughts? Just get a corona mill (barley crusher / cereal killer / recommendations?)

I bought that exact mill. Probably from that seller. I think we landed on a $145 offer if you care to know. I didn't buy it as my forever mill. I just needed something to get me by for a couple years. I've had it for about a year and a half and use it very regularly - about once a week. Here's a bit of a breakdown of my impressions:

Pros:
# It's cheap. As mills go, it's a pretty good bargain.
# It does the job. It mills grains as you would expect. I don't hear the motor laboring, but that's likely because of the reducer gear (more on that later)
# it uses a standard computer cable so my 6 foot one works just fine.
# It's easy to adjust and I've only had to adjust it once.

Cons:
# As was talked about before and from my other comment - it's slow. The motor is speedy, but the reducer gear slows it down. This is obviously turning speed into torque. I considered getting a new stepper gear to speed it up, but why polish a turd? How slow, you ask? About 9# of grain in 20 minutes.
# Hopper assembly. This is a joke... It is so flimsy. Simple tab and slot design makes it feel even cheaper than it is. Not something that wasn't overcome by a few strategically placed pop rivets.
# Hopper size. It will only hold about 4 - 5 #s. I have to top it up at least once when milling.

Neutral:
# I will outlive it. I knew this going in though. I just needed something to get me by.
# The set screws when hand tightened will not hold it. I have to use pliers to give it that extra twist to keep it from going out of gap. It feels like you could easily strip it, but I haven't so I'm just neutral on this.
# A few times I turned it on, poured the grain in, and nothing is milling. I hit reverse then forward and it starts going. Not sure what makes that happen or if that happens with better mills, but it's only happened a couple times.
# It's kinda awkward sitting on my bucket. Not a fear that it will fall really. There's just not a whole lot that tells you "this is where the bucket goes".

At the end of the day it does work as advertised. Hope that answered most of your questions.

For anyone who cares, I’m not trying to be cheap, I just don’t see why such a seemingly simple device should cost as much as it does.
why not? what's wrong with us cheapos?

if it were me, i'd go super duper cheap to get you by until you can score a used mill here in the classifieds or find a good deal of the day kind of thing on morebeer/aih/wherever else.

illegal link to *gasp* another homebrewing forum:

http://homebrewforums.net/discussion/74/thrifty-grain-mill-build#Item_8

I bought that exact mill. [...] Here's a bit of a breakdown of my impressions:
Thank you so much for that thoughtful breakdown. That’s some compelling information— as I read it, I followed the same arc I think you did which was—oh, I could fix this up... wait. No. It’s a cheap mill, just go with it.
On the whole, you made the mill more compelling to me than it was a moment ago... on the other hand, I still think my move will be to get ‘a good one.’ Can’t thank you enough for this info.

I don't have direct experience but if people who have say it doesn't maintain a gap then you're probably going to be extremely disappointed over the likely short like of the mill. If you're milling at home but getting poor efficiency from the cheap mill then really what benefit have you purchased?

I'm not a believer in buying every awesome piece of equipment and my brewery is extremely simple and unimpressive--but I am a believer that money spent on equipment should do its job well. A mill is one of the few things I spent the most money on. I bought a corona mill early in my brewing which I still use from time to time for adjuncts which would be the cheapest mill I would consider. It isn't as good as a good roller mill but a lot better than what I've seen out of some of these cheaper roller mills.

I bet for around the same or slightly more you could find a used quality mill that you would be a lot happier with.

Well, thank you all for for insight. I wound up buying the Cereal Killer from AIH & I plan to use it either with an extra corded drill I have here or with my cordless makita which I suspect can get the job done too... I’m not so sure about how to best regulate the speed but I suspect I’ll figure it out. If anyone has advice in this regard, I’d love to hear it.

For the money, I would buy a conventional mill and use a drill or even just hand crank it. Motorized is nice to have, but I would rather have a model from a known and reputable vendor and fewer features.

If you buy it, make sure to mill your grains a few days ahead, do not wait for brew day. And have a plan B in your back pocket.

I use a hammer drill from Harbor freight to power a monster mill.

I assume/hops you can turn off the hammer and use as a regular drill.

Nowadays, a decent 2 roller (Cereal Killer) mill can be had for under $100. A 3 roller mill (Malt Muncher, Kegco) for somewhat more, maybe $150? Several motors I see being pushed for mills out there for $200-$400 are way overkill--money being paid for overcapacity that offers no value. Milled grain is milled grain. This is my rig. Small 86 rpm gear motor, 35 in-lb (3 ft-lb or 4 N-m). Effortlessly rips through 10# of ANY brewing grain thrown at it in exactly 3 minutes. A few hundred pounds milled with absolutely no issues.
Mill Assembly.JPG
Mill Motor.JPG

That’s awesome. I did pull the trigger on the cereal killer and will use a drill for now— that motor looks pretty ideal for a long term solution. Thanks for sharing those pics.

I would be impressed if a 35 inch pound gear motor even at that slooow speed would work with a 3 roller mill. My gear motor spins at 180 rpm output shaft speed but it is only rated for 40 inch pounds (36 in reverse) and there have been "events" over the years driving my old BC 2 roller and once with my CK 2 roller where it bogged to a stop (conditioned malt husks forming a husk log)...

Cheers!

Cons:
# As was talked about before and from my other comment - it's slow. The motor is speedy, but the reducer gear slows it down. This is obviously turning speed into torque. I considered getting a new stepper gear to speed it up, but why polish a turd? How slow, you ask? About 9# of grain in 20 minutes.
9# of grain in 20 minutes would drive me nuts, on the other hand it would keep up with filling my brew kettle with my RO water filter system.:rolleyes:

I bought that exact mill. Probably from that seller. I think we landed on a $145 offer if you care to know. I didn't buy it as my forever mill. I just needed something to get me by for a couple years. I've had it for about a year and a half and use it very regularly - about once a week. Here's a bit of a breakdown of my impressions:

Pros:
# It's cheap. As mills go, it's a pretty good bargain.
# It does the job. It mills grains as you would expect. I don't hear the motor laboring, but that's likely because of the reducer gear (more on that later)
# it uses a standard computer cable so my 6 foot one works just fine.
# It's easy to adjust and I've only had to adjust it once.

Cons:
# Hopper assembly. This is a joke... It is so flimsy. Simple tab and slot design makes it feel even cheaper than it is. Not something that wasn't overcome by a few strategically placed pop rivets.
# Hopper size. It will only hold about 4 - 5 #s. I have to top it up at least once when milling.

Neutral:
# I will outlive it. I knew this going in though. I just needed something to get me by.
# The set screws when hand tightened will not hold it. I have to use pliers to give it that extra twist to keep it from going out of gap. It feels like you could easily strip it, but I haven't so I'm just neutral on this.
# A few times I turned it on, poured the grain in, and nothing is milling. I hit reverse then forward and it starts going. Not sure what makes that happen or if that happens with better mills, but it's only happened a couple times.
# It's kinda awkward sitting on my bucket. Not a fear that it will fall really. There's just not a whole lot that tells you "this is where the bucket goes".

At the end of the day it does work as advertised. Hope that answered most of your questions.

I'm also looking at this grain mill. I see several on ebay and the same looking mills on Amazon. One thing I do notice and that I really want is a gear driven second roller. Most of these ebay ones like you just bought show gears on the roller shafts in some pictures. But sometimes show a couple pictures without the gears on the same ebay listing. Did yours come with gears?

20 minutes sounds kinda long, but then I think about how much time my hand drill powered one takes and having to sit there and hold the drill verses dump grain in and walk away for a few minutes...well that is not a bad trade off IMO

Point of comparison, I recently bought my first mill...the Cereal Killer from AIH. I first used it in "manual" mode and then of course quickly grew tired of that. For my second batch I grabbed my simple 12V Ridgid drill, used it on the low speed (0-350 RPM). While 350 RPM may be a little too fast it worked perfectly fine and gobbled up 13 lbs of grain in short order with no complaints at all. This may not be the best long term solution but it worked just fine.

IDK about that one, but I wound up grabbing the Cereal Killer with a plan to use it with a drill. I'll let you know how it goes when I get it. It'll be cheaper out of pocket for me anyway...
I've had a Cereal Killer now for a year and change. I have put several hundred pounds through it using a harbor freight drill. You'll be happy.

Back