anyone try this before? - (sugar substitution in kit/kilo recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telefunkin

Reaction score
I'm using the Brew Canada Pilsner 1 can kit. The last time I made one of these with corn sugar it came out more cidery than I'd prefer so I didn't want to go that route again. Problem was that the LHBS was out of any kind of malt extracts, they're mainly wine brewing but carry a few beer supplies. It's going to be about a week before they get any more DME so in the meantime I decided to play around with the sugar a bit.

I replaced the recommended 1kg of corn sugar, that the instructions call for, with 1kg of dark brown sugar. I topped that up with about 2 cups of corn sugar to end up with a reading of about 1.050 on the hydrometer.

Anyone ever try something along these lines? I'm curious to know what it's going to taste like. I'll keep posting updates as it progresses.

cool, I'm actually hoping for some caramel aftertones. I just hope that it's not overwhelming with the amount I added.

i have used that exact kit with a dark malt extract and have been happy with it , but not brown sugar

Back