Quantcast

Michigan Anyone try hops from Blue Lake Hops in Michigan?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

2row

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience using hops from Blue Lake Hops in west Michigan?
Looks like their process is to freeze and vacuum pack fresh hops from the bine with no drying or additional processing.
I'm interested to learn more about how they perform in a brew day and resulting beer.

THE BLUE LAKE PROCESS

OP
2row

2row

Reaction score
Cool. Report back how it goes!
I pulled the trigger On 1Kg of Cascade. Delivered today, still frozen rock solid! Excited to brew with these for their competition. Will be my first experience with whole hops as well...

A9295F39-E708-4882-B485-50AB6BD6CCB6.jpeg

OP
2row

2row

Reaction score
Its gonna be fun. Their site shows 3.5oz of their hops = 1oz T90 pellets... their best estimate. I guess typical whole hops are more like 5:1 ratio.
My guess is these are picked fresh, vacuum packed and frozen quickly. When the hops are frozen with alot of moisture in them, the expanding ice breaks cell walls, and creates more surface area which increases utilization vs /fresh"wet" hops that have been dried in a normal fresh hop process. I think this is their niche (only my guess).

I'm going to try a hop spider for the first time to keep the hop material from my fermenter, guess this might reduce utilization a lil. Gonna brew on Sunday, 100% cascade recipe!

bronc72

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Its gonna be fun. Their site shows 3.5oz of their hops = 1oz T90 pellets... their best estimate. I guess typical whole hops are more like 5:1 ratio.
My guess is these are picked fresh, vacuum packed and frozen quickly. When the hops are frozen with alot of moisture in them, the expanding ice breaks cell walls, and creates more surface area which increases utilization vs /fresh"wet" hops that have been dried in a normal fresh hop process. I think this is their niche (only my guess).

I'm going to try a hop spider for the first time to keep the hop material from my fermenter, guess this might reduce utilization a lil. Gonna brew on Sunday, 100% cascade recipe!
It will be interesting, let me know how it turns out.

OP
2row

2row

Reaction score
Kegged my recipe tonight, used all 2.2Lbs hops / 5 gal. I’ve only homebrewed a few IPA‘s, never used whole cones, or a hop spider/bags before.
opening the vac sealed bag revealed wet, full aroma cascade, sticky and on profile.
Boil additions went in a nylon mesh bag suspended from a spider. Bag wound up too narrow and was full before my flameout additions (my poor size choice). I did baste and stir the bag in an attempt to offset losses. Used 2nd bag for the remaining doses.
Based on samples, I feel bags in general + small diameter compromised utilization.
Dry hopped in a muslin bag 4 days then kegged tonight. Lightly squeezed bag with a spoon against side of fermenter as I removed it. Not as much liquid as I expected but my first time.
I just added final hops loose into keg before filling with beer. I newly put a Scott Janich style filter over my dip tube. will sample first clean pours in the next wk.

So far the the hop flavor is rounded and muted a lil but to style.