Anyone tried zante currants?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R-B-Y

Reaction score
Like the hot cross bun kind. Doing a bit of research I found these things are made from black corinth grapes, which are actually used in a few proper serious wines from the mediterranean. My local supermarket sells these for quite a reasonable price considering that, according to the label, they're 73% sugar. I plan to buy a few bags and bung them in the bucket with some ec1118.
Anyone tried this before?

Well I went ahead with this. I used enartis red fruit instead of ec1118 and blasted 2 packs (600g) of currants with a bit more than a litre of water in a blender. It's been fermenting for a day or so now. The must's got quite a nice deep purple color, and smells not very surprisingly intensely of raisins, though for some reason I also smell red bean paste. I'll update this in a few weeks I guess.

One of my first wines a year ago was a raisin wine made with a fairly random mix of raisins, currants, dates and dried apricots. I used about 4lbs in a 2 gallon batch - I would use more raisins next time. I added some sugar. Turned into a pleasant, clear golden wine, and it's one I intend to try again some time (especially now I know a bit more about wine making than I did back then, especially about sugars, gravities, etc.).

The finished product wasn't very good I'm afraid. It came out a very nice pink color but tasted like exactly nothing other than fruit and alcohol.

I believe you should let it age quite a while before trying more! I like raisin wine at around 12 % abv. The other thing I do is to let them rehydrate overnight before blitzing them.

Back