Anyone tried used Tisane Tea in your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schumed

Reaction score
For those that don't know tisane is an herbal tea that has had all the caffeine removed....their is a local tisane tea that has elderberries, cranberries, hibiscus, rose hips, roobias.....search for Tisane brought nothing

Plan is to use in Belgian blonde ale in secondary ....can't decide if I should just rack right on top of the dried herbs....or try to steep some and add the "tea" to secondary

Thoughts

Ive never used it but I looked into it for some mead recipes. Everything ive seen and read were that the people steeped it first, cooled it and then poured the "tea" into the mix. Might have to do with needing high temps from the steeping water to draw the oils out of the herbs, since im not sure the temp of wort will do a very good job of drawing them out alone.

Pratzie said:
Ive never used it but I looked into it for some mead recipes. Everything ive seen and read were that the people steeped it first, cooled it and then poured the "tea" into the mix. Might have to do with needing high temps from the steeping water to draw the oils out of the herbs, since im not sure the temp of wort will do a very good job of drawing them out alone.

Tisane can be steeped hot or cold from my reading....guess Im going to have to split this batch, try both, report back

I recently brewed a beer where I steeped rooibos at flameout for 10 min before turning on the immersion chiller. Just transferred to secondary this weekend and it smells great. I've also read that herbal "teas", which don't always have the acidity of actual teas, can have a great impact by simply adding them in secondary (basically dry hopping or cold brewing).

A split batch would be interesting experiment. I would love to see how the two methods compare side-by-side.

Back