Anyone tried Samuel Adams - Rebel West Coast IPA (Ideas on a recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mblanks2

Reaction score
Like the title says. Has anyone tried it that would like to comment on a potential recipe.

This is what is posted on Samuel Adams site:
HOP VARIETIES
American Cascade, Simcoe®, Chinook, Centennial, and Amarillo
MALT VARIETIES
Samuel Adams two-row pale malt blend, Caramel 60
YEAST STRAIN
Samuel Adams Ale Yeast
COLOR
Bright Copper / 11 SRM
ALC. BY VOL/WT
6.5%ABV - 5.1%ABW
IBUs
CAL PER SERVING
198 per 12oz serving

This is what I have so far:
14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 93.3 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.7 %
0.25 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 8.1 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 4.9 IBUs
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 8.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 11.5 IBUs
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 11.5 IBUs

This gives me the ABV, color @ 10 SRM and IBU's at 44.8 using Beersmith default values for AA%.
Obviously I'll add aroma hops but will probably wait to add them in a hop burst at 180*F and may do as much as .75 ounce of each.

Not sure what yeast to use. Suggestions on that would be appreciated as well. I typically use US-05, US-04 but have access locally to White Labs.

Your thoughts please.

I am just getting into drinking a lot more IPA's than usual and I have to say I love the Sam Adams rebel IPA (enjoying a few right now). I am a Sam Adams fan anyways but this one has gotten me wanting to brew an IPA myself. I dont have a recipe for you but just wanted to say good luck and Ill be looking back at this thread to see what people have come up with :mug:

I enjoy IPA's and have had a few of the Rebel. I have no experience with cloning beers myself, however I'm positive that you're going to want to increase the amount of hops and move them closer to the end of the boil.

If they use a 60 minute hop it's likely the Chinook. Try a small amount of that for bittering, and then fill out the rest of your IBU's with larger additions. You're probably going want a decent sized dry hop as well.

You get IBU's from late hops as well as from doing a hop stand, so you don't need that much from the 60 min if you're shooting for the advertised IBU's.

My honest opinion is that you might be better suited finding an actual west coast IPA you like from Stone, Lagunitas etc and looking at those clone recipes for some ideas. :mug:

i haven't tried the beer, but: i doubt they are using all 5 varieties for bittering. i'd expect them to use 1, *maybe* 2. most of the hops will be late additions. if i had to guess, i'd say they used chinook (and only chinook) for bittering since it's the cheapest.

Back