anyone seen these fat bottles before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
Got a bunch of these funky fat bottles thrown in with some brewing stuff I bought off Craigslist. Anyone seen them before or know anything about them?

fat-bottle.jpg

yeah, they're kind of like the big brother to the Orval bottles I have. I got them from someone who got them from someone else, etc. They look like they've been around a while. They have a little etched ring at the fattest part from the bottles rubbing against each other in boxes.

Not sure if they came from a commercial brewery, or someone bought them specifically for homebrew sometime in the past. Haven't measured volume yet, but I'm thinking they're about a quart maybe.

I must admit thats a pretty hilarious looking bottle. Good find. I like how is very smooth and rounded like a duvel bottle, but then there is the random cut in. Very interesting...

I just tried my hand at googleing for it, but nothing similar readily came up.

I think they are specific homebrew bottles. Standard neck style so they can work with a wing capper, then the fat body to hold more beer. They're pretty much football shaped.

Wow, good find. But it seems like that bottle might be a little smaller than the OPs. Maybe its just a smaller version of the same thing though?

Yeah I think that is the stubby version. there is a larger one in the auction link but I just realized that its a screw top. Still its a good bet.

The brand would be just right. I grew up with tons of Heidelberg around here.

The one for sale is a twist off, but the little pic there looks exactly like what I've got.

Thanks!

A dozen of those and about 20 grolsch flip-tops. They were a throw-in with the first brewing equipment I bought last year. I stuck them in the closet and forgot about them. Came across them today packing stuff for the move.

my first impression was that it was some old football-themed advertising campaign bottle - kinda like the bowling pin bottles bud does. awesome though. good luck putting a paper label on the side of that!

Back