Anyone oak their cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadicalEd

Reaction score
I finally pulled my english style cider out of my primary, after 5 or so months. As I was bottling I realized that I didn't have nearly enough bottles, so I grabbed a free 1 gallon jug and decided to bulk age it for a while. Then I noticed I have a back of oak sitting next to the jug, just begging to be used. So has has anyone had any experience with cider on oak? Will I need to be pulling it off after just a few days, or can I leave it on there for a month or two?

Thanks in advance!

PS: yes, I did a search, but cider, afelwein and oak didn't return anything of interest)

i did and was very happy with the results. I let the oak chips sit in the cider for 2weeks then bottled it. the first week after bottling it had a strong taste but as the weeks turned into months the cider tastes great and has a very complex flavor. can't wait to make another batch next year.

Thanks, Weasle! I was getting worried with no replies here :D. Might be a candidate for the "oxygen barrier" caps, then :D.

I used oak extract on my last batch and it made a world of difference. My brewshop reccomended letting the oak chips sit for 6 weeks.

I use 2 ounces of medium toast American oak cubes per 6 gallon batch of cider. Typically, I'll infuse for 3 months before racking off. Oak and cider go together very well indeed. Keep in mind that my ciders and apfelweins follow the following fermentation / aging sequence:

2 months primary
3 months secondary (with oak)
7 months - MINIMUM - bulk-aged before kegging and / or bottling.

Most ciders are drank way too early IMHO - let a batch bulk-age for a year or two and you'll know what I'm talking about. :rockin:

- GL63

I would have to agree with GrantLee63...maybe try French Oak...that is what top wine makers use and I think it might mellow the taste a little...but who knows.

Eric

Back