Anyone notice they drink more/faster with kegging than bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallasdb

Reaction score
So I just kicked my first keg in ~2 weeks. Usually 5 gallons will last me about a month when I bottled.

Has anyone noticed they were drinking more when they switched from bottling to kegging?

Either I am drinking twice as much beer or can I attribute some of this to dealing with some foaming issues.

Regardless, anyone else notice kegs don't last nearly as long as 5 gallons bottled?

I kick kegs extremely quickly, especially when friends are over.

The switch from party taps to a real kegerator or keezer with faucets is another really big bump in disappearing beer.

its true. its just so much easier to pull a lil' from the keg than it is to open another full bottle. plus three or five small glasses from the keg = one full bottle right? but if SWMBO asks its the same... tell her its the same.

+1 to above.

Me: well Ill just have a little half glass as a taster intead of opening a full bottle

an hour later I have had six little half "taster" glasses when I never would have opened a bottle in the first place. Plus there is always cold beer, as compared to not always having bottles in the fridge

Less time cleaning bottles=more time to enjoy your beer.

So my answer is a resounding "YES".

Same here. I might drink two or three bottles a night but with the keg, it's really easy to get "just another sip" and that means another pint.

Absolutely... My kegerator has destroyed any 'pipelining' I had in mind... considering I barely had a concept for a pipeline, I'm in serious catch up mode after blowing through several kegs.

Luckily, my local victualer is kind enough to get pony kegs of commercials brews for me (sans deposit I might add), and I can easily swap my lines for a commercial tap if I need to put one in it.

Has anyone noticed they were drinking more when they switched from bottling to kegging?

Actually, my consumption has gone down a little. I used to bottle in 500ml swings and that meant I was often opening a 2nd bottle. No point in letting good beer go to waste which meant I was downing 1L an evening easily. With the kegerator, I'm more likely to just top off a pint or pour another half glass.

I think I may drink a little bit more, but I am more cognizant of the experience; I don't see and taste the beer as an individual experience from "bottle to bottle" as much as I get to see it as a whole. It's hard to explain.

Then again, I also usually have a "guest" beer on tap that I'm typically not a fan of but I know others will enjoy. Right now I have a wheat beer that I could care less about on tap which has been there for longer than I can remember. Everyone raves about it and enjoys it but its been there forever.

I can say that beer disappears faster in my kegs than my bottles and the 15 pounds I've put on since keeging proves just that.

The keg was a Kolsch and was a perfect brew to drink all day while in the yard. There were definitely a couple days that I poured a pint at 11 am and kept a full cup through dinner.

Good thing it was only ~4.5 ABV and I enjoyed them, didn't chug.

I am really glad I brewed the Morebeer Light Amber Ale this weekend.

No, I find I usually draw a smaller beer most of the time than I would if I grabbed a bottle. I keep a lot of different sizes of glassware, but I usually use the 6-8oz glasses.

I find that the kegerator only affects the minimum amount that I will drink in a day, not the maximum. I use 7oz glasses most nights, and one of these will often suffice. When I really feel like drinking, like hanging out with friends, the 12oz glasses come out and I will put down the same 6 to 10 beers that I would have had in bottles.

Since I put the taps through the wall of the fridge I find it all too easy to "have another small glass." I'll have a 7 oz sampler glass of beer and end up having 2-3 more.

I find that the kegerator only affects the minimum amount that I will drink in a day, not the maximum. I use 7oz glasses most nights, and one of these will often suffice. When I really feel like drinking, like hanging out with friends, the 12oz glasses come out and I will put down the same 6 to 10 beers that I would have had in bottles.

That's the other problem with mine. I don't have 12 oz glasses, I have 20 oz Imperials. So....yeah. :mug:

My kegs seem to disappear faster too. I blame the glasses. I received these free Belgian type glasses. I thought they were only 8 oz, so I'd fill one and enjoy a brew, go down and fill another and assume I had only 16oz of beer, no biggie right?

Then I bought a 6pack of Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA. Wouldn't ya know it? Those glasses are 12 oz...

Damn! LOL

See, when it comes to food and beer I have virtually no will-power. When I had bottles it took so much more effort. Plus, the bottles sometime have that out-of-sight out-of-mind play going on. Now that I have a keezer? I'll tell myself no beer tonight and then all the sudden I realize I've had two 400/cal pints and I'm wondering why I can't button my pants :p

Latest posts

Back