Anyone not clean the keg before filling it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have some Apfelwein that needs to be kegged and I just floated a keg of it. I was thinking I would clean the top of the keg and soak the top in some starsan then just rack the new Apfelwein right into it without cleaning the inside or sanitizing the inside.

What do you think? Have you done this? Or am I just being a lazyass?

some rack onto a yeast cake right. try it. +1 for lazyness

I've never done it, but it has crossed my mind. I cold condition my beers before transferring to keg and the sediment is minimal, I mean almost none existent. My thinking is, is it was sanitary when the last beer was in there, if I only leave it open long enough to transfer beer into it, what are the odds something could get in there?

It has never been worth the risk to me, but I would be willing to bet that it could be done very successfully. What it always comes down to for me is, how much effort does it really take to clean / sanitize, and how much would it suck if I skipped that step and ruined a perfectly good beer.

I'm thinking that because I'm putting the same thing in that was in it there should be no problems and with having it open long enough to fill is no different then when I fill it after cleaning.

Now if only I had an extra CO2 tank/reg, then I could set it up and rack it without ever opening the keg. Hmm, I wonder how much I can get a tank and reg for this afternoon. :D

Kind of OT because beer and cider have alcohol:

Some golf course out here created some sort of nasty waterborn microbe (NoroVirius) that killed a 15 year old kid. Basically they kept refilling the gaterade coolers with water and never washed them out.

I simply connect my picnic tap to the end of my racking cane, put the keg on the floor, the carboy on the counter, and use a little CO2 pressure into the carboy via the second tube on the carboy cap to start the flow going... from carboy to keg with no oxygen interaction. Do it that way, and you have no reason to open the keg and compromise the sanitary conditions.

rabidgerbil said:
I simply connect my picnic tap to the end of my racking cane, put the keg on the floor, the carboy on the counter, and use a little CO2 pressure into the carboy via the second tube on the carboy cap to start the flow going... from carboy to keg with no oxygen interaction. Do it that way, and you have no reason to open the keg and compromise the sanitary conditions.
That's what I was thinking of doing if I had another CO2 tank/reg. I don't want to pull the tank out of the kezzer.

Back