Anyone know what's in Wyeast 9097, Old Ale Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
Does anyone know what is in 9097? Sounds like a standard yeast and some Brett, but what yeast, and what Brett, and is there anything else?

I've seen references to it having Claussenii, and others to it having Lambicus

I want to try a Sour beer, and this looks like a way to start, but I would like to know what I am using. The alternative is to use one of my yeasts and add a Brett strain a couple of weeks later. Was thinking of using Bruxellensis, since it seems to be "Medium" intensity; seems reasonable to start in the middle.

I assume general rules are (if there are any rules):

Mash high, low IBUs, and wait a long time.

Some general questions about using Brett:

It likes acidic worts; would adding some acid malt be helpful?
Any advantages/differences to the Brett character if you have a low or high SG wort?
Does the Brett like to be fed, or should all the fermentables be in the original wort?

I dont recall which english strain it was, but it has brett brux in it, there for a long time it was thought that it contained lambicus (due to the description) but it was confirmed to be brux by someone on the green board i believe

9097 will not make your beer sour, only funky

Thanks. If that is all that is in 9097, would I be better off using one of my other yeasts and adding the Brett separately. That way I could build a starter and keep a pure strain of the Brett to use with any other yeast.

9097 will not make your beer sour, only funky

Wyeast 9097-PC Old Ale Blend
Beer Styles: Strong Ale, Old Ale, English Barleywine

Profile: To bring you a bit of English brewing heritage we developed the “Old Ale” blend. It includes an attenuative ale strain along with a small amount of Brettanomyces. The blend will ferment well in dark worts, producing fruity beers with nice complexity. The Brettanomyces adds a pie cherry-like flavor and sourness during prolonged aging.

Regardless of what wyeast says, this strain WILL NOT PRODUCE SOUR BEER

brett doesnt produce any real amounts of acids that will make a beer sour, and ive used this strain quite extensively since the previous time it came out, as with other brett beers, no acidity only funk

Thanks. If that is all that is in 9097, would I be better off using one of my other yeasts and adding the Brett separately. That way I could build a starter and keep a pure strain of the Brett to use with any other yeast.

Thats up to you, the brett packs can be kinda pricey, and if you plan to add the brett to a secondary fermentor its unlikely that the sacch strain would do anything anyway

also, with time brett in any beer will transform all the esters/phenols/etc produced by sacch into its own, as it will slowly use the sacch byproducts as a source of food for itself

The Brett packs are the same price as regular yeast.

Thought I would make a starter, pitch most of the starter and save about 10% of it in a small bottle with an airlock on. Keep it in the fridge until I want to use it again, and make a new starter. This way I can use the same pack for several different batches and retain the original strain.

I understand the reproduction cycle is longer for Brett and the starter would probably take 2 weeks.

Back