Anyone know watches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermish

Reaction score
I have been looking to get a new watch, something nicer then I have had before. I think I want a Movado, and know that I can go to Kay jewelers and get it for about twice the price that I can find it for online. So I'm wondering how they sell them for so cheap online, are they fake or have other problems? Anyone have any experience? Here's what I'm looking at.
Movado Fiero 0605620

The movado is probably real, check out a website called princeton watches, princetonwatches.com. I bought a Seiko off there a while back and it was definitely the real deal for cheaper than I could buy it where I worked (Marks and Morgan Jewelers).

If you're going to spend that type of money I would recommend a Tag Heuer over the Movado personally, they use a higher quality movement in them (Pre 2005 models). You can find an older used model in good condition on ebay for fairly cheap. I wear a Tag Professional that was made in 1998 and it still only loses about 1/2 a second a month.

Also, I would stick with the analog quartz movements, automatics are really cool and alluring but really more can go wrong with them and they can lose time if not worn enough. They also traditionally require more maintenance over the years to keep them from losing time. Newer auto's have come a very long way, hell a 300$ invicta automatic if worn properly will only lose about 5 minutes of time over a month period, but quartz movements are just more reliable/accurate.

+1 Tags are great, I have a Link Quartz. I think they are great time pieces. I also love my Omega. I don't wear it often and but when I do, it matches my Tags time exactly. I have them in a watch box. I would advise getting one.

I'm sure Tags are great, but no one has anything to say about Movado, or buying watches cheaper online then in a jewelery store? I really like the basic clean look of the Movados.

The movado isn't a bad watch, it's just not worth the money for what you pay for it in my opinion. If you would have read my post I directed you to princetonwatches.com who carries Movado, and yes it is cheaper. They are a reputable vendor.

Running a website is MUCH cheaper than running a brick and mortar store. Online markups can be as little as 20%, whereas a brick store needs 100-150% to cover rent and wages.

The movado isn't a bad watch, it's just not worth the money for what you pay for it in my opinion. If you would have read my post I directed you to princetonwatches.com who carries Movado, and yes it is cheaper. They are a reputable vendor.

I read your post and checked out that website. It seemed more legit then the one I had been looking at before. They don't have prices for Movado listed so I emailed them, and it went from 2800 list price to 1800, so I will probably get it from them if I end up buying it.

The tungsten models are going to run you an assload of money I'll tell you that. Co Worker of mine had one of the first tungsten square faces they released and a pin broke in the links when he was at a bar dancing and it fell to the floor. Thankfully he noticed how light his arm had become and immediately picked thewatch back up. The cool thing about tungsten is it does not scratch but with that being said the watch pins are still coated steel at best and will break.

I guess they all have their pro's and cons, I find a happy medium with stainless steel.

Back