Anyone know this keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badhabit

Reaction score
I got the last of my kegs to convert into keggles this past weekend and am ready to start drilling. I got what I believe is an old Miller keg that I am confused by. There is no weld on the bottom where the skirt would be welded on. There is only a weld about the mid-point of the keg. Does anyone know what kind of keg this for sure and where I need to drill the lower valve and the site glass hole? Since there is no weld the best I can guess is three and three quarter inches up from the bottom of the skin?

Unless I'm missing the point of your question; you can drill the hole where ever you'd like in the side, preferably as low as you can without interfering with the curve of the bottom. The lower weld area is cited merely as a reference.

Thanks, thought that someone may have had experiance with this keg. Just don't want to hit the curve which you can't see in this keg as a result of the construction. I will just come an inch up from the bottom and drill the pilot for the center.

If its welded differently than a normal keg, be sure there are vent holes in the bottom skirt of the keg.

Apparently it is possible without the vent, for enough heat and pressure to build up to pop the keggle off of the burner.
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=44238&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I have seen this before and already checked this keg. It does have a three vent holes in the skirt. I also plan on drilling three small holes in the rolled lip on all of my kegs...better safe than sorry.

The keg in the link that exploded had vent holes. There was something structurally wrong with that keg. I'm sure a metallurgist or CSI Miami could tell us why it happened. It's a risk you take using something for a purpose other than its original intent.

From your description, I wonder if you might have a Hoff-Stevens keg?

hoff-stevens-keg.gif

It isn't a H-S. Still think it is an old Miller keg. It is straight sided, actually more than the new kegs. As I said it has no bottom weld. It looks like the skirt and the inner barrel are a single unit with a top and bottom half. The two halfs are welded together in the middle of the keg

Back