Anyone know good Books on Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_Waffle

Reaction score
I'm very interested in learning all I can about wine, and I thought this would be a good place to start looking for the essentials. At the moment I am reading Jon Iverson's book: "Home Winemaking Step by Step" and although it is very informative and seems to cover a lot, I find myself wanting to know about the process of making wine in greater detail.

I would like to know what books you find to be indispensable to your collection, and perhaps why you find those pieces of literature helpful to you.

One of the best books I know - quite technical but still very readable is Daniel Pambianchi's Techniques in Home Wine Making. Dan is a professional vintner and his focus is on the science of wine making.

I'm relatively new to making wine and the following book was recommended to me -
First Steps in Winemaking by C J J Berry a bargain at £6 on Amazon

Although a little basic I've found it to be of great help and the recipes I've followed have worked out exactly as laid out in the book. Apparently its been reprinted many times due to its popularity having been written in the 1960's and although the language is a little quaint I found this added to its charm. By quaint I mean England at the time and not 'hippie' like my parents at the time! Might be worth a look.

If you want a technical guide to modern wine-making, check out 'Postmodern Winemaking' by Clark Smith. He's a veteran in the industry and has various modern techniques credited to his name.

Just read "from vines to vines" due to your recommendation. Wow, just wow. Lots of great info. The only thing I wish they had covered is grape vine propigation. You can read it for free with a one month free trial of Amazon unlimited.

Back