Anyone know anything about wood stoves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSRider

Reaction score
I got a woodstove from a buddy that I want to put into my shop. It will only be used when I am out there brewing or working on the bike, and not run all the time. I have a stove pipe for it that tapers from 5" to 4". I was wondering if I could use this piece for my chimney through the roof. I am going to install roof flashing and a cap, storm collar and support it from the rafters. My shop is uninsulated and the roof pitch is very low almost flat. It will exit right at the peak of the roof. I was wondering if I can use this piece of pipe I found on craigslist for the chimney through the roof. Thanks for any help I can get.

EDIT: The pipe is 4" id 6" od

1fd12113a3n13ka3o98bqa068bc7796f71345.jpg

1f91261493kc3o33ld8bq21e209b96afc1892.jpg

I got a woodstove from a buddy that I want to put into my shop. It will only be used when I am out there brewing or working on the bike, and not run all the time. I have a stove pipe for it that tapers from 5" to 4". I was wondering if I could use this piece for my chimney through the roof. I am going to install roof flashing and a cap, storm collar and support it from the rafters. My shop is uninsulated and the roof pitch is very low almost flat. It will exit right at the peak of the roof. I was wondering if I can use this piece of pipe I found on craigslist for the chimney through the roof. Thanks for any help I can get.

EDIT: The pipe is 4" id 6" od

1fd12113a3n13ka3o98bqa068bc7796f71345.jpg

1f91261493kc3o33ld8bq21e209b96afc1892.jpg

no. go to lowes and buy a chimney kit. IIRC you need tripple walled insulated pipe for the through attic portion.
Installing a Woodstove - The Basics on How to Install a Wood Burning Stove.

being your uninsulated, you could likely get by just fine with that. you have no attic...

however, i would splurge on a kit as well. if it does not work out with the CL pipe, you cannot just shut off a stove!

my neighbors burned about 2lbs of walnut hulls in their woodstove once...the fire department had to help em out. 30k later and they are back in biz, albeit with a PELLET stove this time.

I wouldnt use the double pipe. But thats just me. What kind of roof? tin or ashapalt?

Nah, either way I'd invest in a triple pipe, the risk is to great. You mentioned bikes, I assume you dont want to burn your bikes down?

I heat my house with a wood stove only. The room the woodstove is in is a complete room of concrete, rockwork, and bricks. The stove could melt & not burn my house down.

I also heat my shop with my old woodstove. I love it, but I'm always leery of leaving much of a fire in it b/c the only chimney in there is a triple pipe.

WAY cheaper than gas/elec if you have a good source of wood.

turns out its a gas vent pipe so the creosote would eat it up. Im still digging around for some regular stuff. And you are correct, of all my stuff in the garage, my bike is the last thing I want to lose.

I'm pretty sure Blowes or Home Depot sells triple wall pipe. While not the best bet, it is certainly cheaper than laying a chimney. I happening to be goin to both today, I'll check to see if they stock it.

I wouldnt use the double pipe. But thats just me. What kind of roof? tin or ashapalt?

Nah, either way I'd invest in a triple pipe, the risk is to great. You mentioned bikes, I assume you dont want to burn your bikes down?

I heat my house with a wood stove only. The room the woodstove is in is a complete room of concrete, rockwork, and bricks. The stove could melt & not burn my house down.

I also heat my shop with my old woodstove. I love it, but I'm always leery of leaving much of a fire in it b/c the only chimney in there is a triple pipe.

WAY cheaper than gas/elec if you have a good source of wood.

How do you heat your home with a wood stove only? I am not calling you out on that, it just would be impossible for me to even come close to doing that. Maybe you work from home and just bundle up really well under the covers when you sleep???

How do you heat your home with a wood stove only? I am not calling you out on that, it just would be impossible for me to even come close to doing that. Maybe you work from home and just bundle up really well under the covers when you sleep???

In my old house I used wood stove only. It was only 1000 square feet. The living room would always be about 75, the back bedrooms would be 60ish. I turn the heat down now to 60 at night anyhow so that never bothered me. It sucked to coe home from work and the house was cold, but In an hour you could walk around in shorts.

not hard to heat with wood only. BTW we would turn the old stoves completely down over night and in the morning open the vents and the fire would start again. open the door and shove a couple logs and get it stoked. when the fire was burning nice we would close the vents and get the embers glowing. when we came home same thing. problem is now these new stoves dont let you do this.

A larger wood stove will provide enough heat for a well insulated modest sized house with an open floor plan. One that size fully stocked will provide a decent heat for 6+ hours and have enough hot coals to restart the fire up to 10 hours later. At the hot coal stage it is still providing heat just not nearly as much as it does when in full operation.

I have a small wood stove in an old, large house. It will keep the house comfortable when temps are above freezing. I can load it up in the evening before bed and the furnace won't kick on until the thermostat kicks up at 6:30 in the morning. I'm only providing supplemental heat from the stove, but it still makes a big difference.

To the OP, make sure you get the correct pipe and install it correctly. It will affect the safety and operation of the stove. You need insulated pipe for any place it will be near flamable materials or where it passes through uninsulated space, including above the roof. This will improve your draft and reduce creosote buildup by keeping the inside of the pipe hot.

Craig

not hard to heat with wood only. BTW we would turn the old stoves completely down over night and in the morning open the vents and the fire would start again. open the door and shove a couple logs and get it stoked. when the fire was burning nice we would close the vents and get the embers glowing. when we came home same thing. problem is now these new stoves dont let you do this.

I have a very small new stove. Shut down all the way it still stays hot over night. I can almost start the fire from the coals alone in the morning. With a larger stove and larger logs I would imagine it is very possible.

I remember when my parents had a wood burning furnace that would take 25"+ long logs that were about 14+" diameter. You could fit several of those logs and would still have a decent fire in the morning. I do not miss the loads and loads of firewood we cut and split back then.

Craig

some stoves are EPA exempt and you can still bank them and shut the vents down to burn all night and day. The ones with catalytic converters need to be run hot or they plug up. I used to heat my house with a King wood/coal stove and the oil burner rarely went on . I miss the coal load it once a day with 80lbs and let it work. This pellet stove sucks they say it has the same BTU per hour My a** thing runs at high and the oil burner goes on a few times at night and during the day.

I have a very small new stove. Shut down all the way it still stays hot over night. I can almost start the fire from the coals alone in the morning. With a larger stove and larger logs I would imagine it is very possible.

I remember when my parents had a wood burning furnace that would take 25"+ long logs that were about 14+" diameter. You could fit several of those logs and would still have a decent fire in the morning. I do not miss the loads and loads of firewood we cut and split back then.

Craig

My old stove would take 36" logs I would stack unsplit logs and fill the gaps with split wood. In the morning I still had a nice hot bed of coals and it would start right up. Just a word of warning if you do the all night thing make sure you burn the fire hot for a while the next day ... Better to burn off a little creosote than chance a raging chimney fire .... Yup coal is looking better and better to me next spring this pellet stove and what ever remains of the pellets are going on Graigslist ... I still have 28 feet of metalbestos SS pipe from my old stove

Here's my stove
fire.jpg

I heat with wood, and the house furnace set at 60 as backup, only when the temps are in the teens or lower. Otherwise, pilot to furnnace is off. I heat a 2 br, 1 bath ranch.

Check out this site:
Hearth.com - Information on Gas Fireplaces, Wood Stoves, Gas Logs, Pellet Stoves, Fireplaces, Chimneys and Hearth Products

I have been a member there since 2006, it's a great bunch of guys and like here, you will get a good answer to your questions.
I am NJTomatoguy there also.
Hope this helps.
Bob

Here's my stove
fire.jpg

I heat with wood, and the house furnace set at 60 as backup, only when the temps are in the teens or lower. Otherwise, pilot to furnnace is off. I heat a 2 br, 1 bath ranch.

Check out this site:
Hearth.com - Information on Gas Fireplaces, Wood Stoves, Gas Logs, Pellet Stoves, Fireplaces, Chimneys and Hearth Products

I have been a member there since 2006, it's a great bunch of guys and like here, you will get a good answer to your questions.
I am NJTomatoguy there also.
Hope this helps.
Bob

I just joined that forum to get some info on a problem with the pellet stove...Hopefully the rep from England stove works gets back to me.

Once we get the stove on we can heat our house soley on the stove, we burn wood. But there is no way our stove still has hot embers in it the next morning. If we don't keep the wood fed it will lose any hopes of restarting on its own in about 2 hours. We don't feel comfortable going to bed with a blazing stove anyway, usually feel ok when it is down to a few flames. I guess we have a different stove. Even so, on weekdays we get up and go to work, not start a fire before going to work. Even so we would return 10 hours later, stove would be cold as ice. I have a 125g saltwater fishtank, I can't afford for the house to get too cold.

Here's my stove
fire.jpg

That is my point, he said he heats his house soley with the stove, you like me have a backup so the pipes won't freeze.

Craig

Wow, 25" by 14" is huge; I couldn't even get one end in. Sure you don't mean circumference? That must be a huge stove. A stove that big burning good and hot would probably spontaneously combust my house. :cross:

I just joined that forum to get some info on a problem with the pellet stove...Hopefully the rep from England stove works gets back to me.

Mike or Corey

Both are stand great guys. Check out corey's home built coal and wood burner.

I'm guessing Springer on there also?

Latest posts

Back