Anyone know a good place to get free bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkerdel

Reaction score
So i have 15 gallons to bottle in the next two weeks and i only have around 45 12oz bottles. I can not bring myself to buy empty bottles from my LHBS but i will have to come up with something quick.

I have heard about people getting empties from resturants but i would suspect them to be really dirty.

Im also considering raiding a few super bowl parties this weekend to pick up some bottles, but i also suspect the bottles to be very dirty.

Anyone have any tips or secret places where they get bottles?

Whenever I need bottles, I run by the Recycling Center. They allow me to grab as many as I want and even provide boxes to carry them out in. ;)

And really dirty? Lol... just a hot oxyclean soak and the labels and dirt comes right off.

Ask your buddies right now to rinse their bottles right away when they drink this sunday, then go get em...How about that?

I buy a lot of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in bombers, those are 24 oz, or two beers. You might check your local craigslist, or a local bar that serves pop top bottles.

All of the above, plus make sure that every beer that you buy from now until bottling day is in a bottle that you can re-use. I've collected over 100 bottles in the past month from my own consumption. :drunk:

Whenever I need bottles, I run by the Recycling Center. They allow me to grab as many as I want and even provide boxes to carry them out in. ;)

And really dirty? Lol... just a hot oxyclean soak and the labels and dirt comes right off.

never though of that! i will try it out this weekend

Check the classifieds section of hbt, theres a thread for us to give away or request bottles. You could also just go by a bar and ask for their empties. My local dustributor takes bottles for the deposit, so you could try that. Try craigslist, offer double deposit.

There was a thread on here awhile back about homebrewers who had extra bottles because they had started kegging and were willing to give them away or trade. I'll look and see if I can find it.

Where I work, our building has a room down by the dock where there is a box crusher and place where they sort out all the recycling. I can grab as many bags of plastic soda bottles as I want.

i've got a few cases up here in portland, but i'm about 1000 miles away lol

The best thing is to simply ask a bar that serves a good number of bottles. I simply walked down to my local watering hole, bought a beer, asked the owner if I could have some bottles. He pulled out a trashcan from the back and I stocked up for free. Pretty simple :)

We have around 50 empty bottles at the end of every homebrew club meeting and 800-1000 at the end of our competition. Many to most of these get recycled because there aren't enough people interested in taking them.

Back