anyone juice ginger root to put in their mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you get a sharper spicy flavor from the ginger versus just dicing or slicing the ginger. The downside is that if you want your mead clear, you maybe waiting a while.

Howare you going to juice yourginger? We have always just chopped and boiled it before making a must. Havent done a mead with it yet but its on the list and I am curious how you juice it and why you thing it took longer to clear, did you add pectinase and amylase? WVMJ

WVMJ said:
Howare you going to juice yourginger? We have always just chopped and boiled it before making a must. Havent done a mead with it yet but its on the list and I am curious how you juice it and why you thing it took longer to clear, did you add pectinase and amylase? WVMJ

Any home juicing machine will do it. You don't get a lot of juice, but what you get is STRONG!

I wonder if your froze it first, that does make it softer, you would get more juice out? Is it worth the trouble to get the juice vs just chopping them up and boiling them to extract the flavor? WVMJ

WVMJ said:
I wonder if your froze it first, that does make it softer, you would get more juice out? Is it worth the trouble to get the juice vs just chopping them up and boiling them to extract the flavor? WVMJ

I don't think you'll get any more juice. If anything, you'll get less because the freezing process causes water loss. Boiling... Why water it down?

Unless you are really concerned about solid pieces in your fermentor I'd just cut it into thin slices and add raw. I think you'll get the best result that way.

The freezing process breaks open the cells and would make it easier to extract the juice, the water you are talking about isnt leaking onto the floor, it stays in the root. Unless you are fermenting 100% pure ginger juice its going to get watered down anyway in making a mead. If you are using it to cook with raw I would only dilute it with some fish sauce and rice wine vinegar. WVMJ

I don't think you'll get any more juice. If anything, you'll get less because the freezing process causes water loss. Boiling... Why water it down?

Unless you are really concerned about solid pieces in your fermentor I'd just cut it into thin slices and add raw. I think you'll get the best result that way.

I used about 1/3 of a root bulb in my last 6 gallons of mead. I didn't freeze or boil it. It's hot! Everyone thinks its a high alcohol distillation (it's only about 14%) due to the ginger burn when they aren't ready for it. Just remember, a little, and I emphasize little, goes a very long way.

WVMJ said:
The freezing process breaks open the cells and would make it easier to extract the juice, the water you are talking about isnt leaking onto the floor, it stays in the root. Unless you are fermenting 100% pure ginger juice its going to get watered down anyway in making a mead. If you are using it to cook with raw I would only dilute it with some fish sauce and rice wine vinegar. WVMJ

Things lose water in a freezer, it's called freeze drying. There is not a lot of juice in ginger to begging with. I know, I'm on a juice fast at the moment and been juicing ginger daily for the last two weeks.

As for boiling it, you can, and likely are changing the flavor. Any time you cook something the flavor changes. Proteins and carbohydrates break down in the heat.

Your mead, do what ever you want. I'm only telling you that I believe you will have the best results with sliced up pieces of ginger.

I wasbt taking about freezing it for a year:) I have pulled ginger out of the freezer that had been in the freezer for a year forgotten in the back, mummified is the best way to describe it. Always trying to figure out the best way to make something. Do all the little fibers end up blocking the juicer or do they just bunch up and roll out? WVMJ

WVMJ said:
I wasbt taking about freezing it for a year:) I have pulled ginger out of the freezer that had been in the freezer for a year forgotten in the back, mummified is the best way to describe it. Always trying to figure out the best way to make something. Do all the little fibers end up blocking the juicer or do they just bunch up and roll out? WVMJ

A good juicer is designed to work despite the fibers. Ginger has the same density an structure as carrots really, which are a juicing staple. Most juicers should work fine.

Latest posts

Back