Anyone into serious road/mtn biking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GloHoppa

Reaction score
This past saturday I was working all day for harpoon's annual brewery to brewery bike ride. Over 800 experienced riders pedaled 147 miles from Boston to Windsor, VT. My job in the afternoon was unloading all of the bikes and setting them up on the racks so that when the bikers were driven back from VT they could get their bikes and go. Now I was handling some bikes worth anywhere from 4-15grand! As I was thinkin about all of this it hit me that I want to be moving into Boston over the next 6mo to cut down on my commute. I also think if I get a place decently close to the brewery, I might want to just sell my vehicle and bike to work.

Here comes the problem with that line of logic. I havent ridden a bike for more than 10 minutes in like 6 or 7 years. How would I even get into road or mountain biking?

Any suggestions?

How would I even get into road or mountain biking?

Any suggestions?

Buy a bike.;)

Seriously, if you start biking to work, it will be rough at first, but you should adapt to the workload quickly--provided you're not too out of shape.

Before this past February I hadn't been on a bike in probably 10-15 years. I've been riding in to work at least 4 days a week the past 2 months. That's an 16 mile round trip ride for me. SWMBO and I went for a 25 mile ride yesterday. I think you just need to get on and go. You never forget how to do it, it just may not be pretty at first.

Buy a bike and ride it. Serious. Its not something you need pratice with. Its cardio, you can sustain tempo's longer with the more time under your belt.

only one way to get better on a bike, ride one. In a former life I rode 150 - 200 miles a week. You don't have to ride fast, and not sure how long your commute is, but I am sure that you will get there just fine. You can build miles on your legs in no time. IMHO, the best method of exercising out there.

Glibbidy's pretty hardcore into biking, I'm sure he'll chime in at some point. I've thought about getting into biking again, I still regret selling my good bike so I could buy a bass amp :(. I'm pretty desperately out of shape, and there are lots of good trails and roads to ride around here.

I'm not "serious" I suppose, but I ride to work and back most days...and we've got some great mountain biking trails around here I hit once in while. However, since gas has been going up, I've been riding a lot more. If you're wanting to get into mountain and road biking, I'd suggest hitting the road first to get up your strength. Mountain biking is way more fun for me once I've been hitting the streets pretty regular. Otherwise, it is torture on the quads!

If you're looking for a good starter bike that won't break the bank, check out the commuter-type bikes. They are more comfortable than a normal road bike, but much faster than a mtn bike. This is one I've got my eye on, and it's less than $1k:

Trek SoHo 3.0

This one is nice too; Speicalized Sirrus

EDIT: i'd also recommend the following bike from Bianchi: Castro Valley. A coworker has this with a rack and panniers on...it's a smooth riding FAST bike. Took it for a spin and was amazed at the ride quality!

The first thing to do before buying a bike is decide what style of riding your going to do, a ATB if good for offroad but very inefficient and uncomfortable on the road and a road or track bike is next to useless in the woods, you might want a cyclocross type bike if you want something for a little of each.
I doubt you'll find them in any large cities but around where I live there are a lot of shortcuts through the woods so it pays to have a hybrid bike.

You should also remember that a expensive bike doesn't make a good rider start out with something basic and cheaper certainly less than a grand.
getting a bike that fits you and your riding style is important but everyone has a different idea of how to calculate whats right for you, ultimately its whatever you feel the most comfortable with.
This site has a lot of good bike info http://www.sheldonbrown.com/home.html

Fit is everything with getting a good bike. If a bike is not for your body type or setup for it, you will be miserable. Go to a good bike shop, explain to them what you want out of the bike and let them fit you on a roller. If they are not willing to do than find another shop. Any bike under about 1,500 are about the same, so brands are not that big of a deal. After that just get a nice pair of bike shorts and ride ride ride. Your ass will hurt like hell for a few weeks, then you will get used to it. Also don't think that a bigger seat will help your butt, in most cases it will make it worse.

This past saturday I was working all day for harpoon's annual brewery to brewery bike ride. Over 800 experienced riders pedaled 147 miles from Boston to Windsor, VT.
Here comes the problem with that line of logic. I havent ridden a bike for more than 10 minutes in like 6 or 7 years. How would I even get into road or mountain biking?
Any suggestions?
Two of my cycling compadres ran into that group while they were climbing Bear Mtn outside of Chesterfield, NH on Saturday. Props to that group for doing it:rockin:

Get a bike. If you are going to commute get a road bike & a helmet and start riding.
Consider a single speed if you are in the city, even more hardcore would be a track bike. An IF would likely be overkill right now, but if yo got the cake, go for it.

If your just starting out it's all about the LSD!

If you are going to do it .. do it right!! www.ifbikes.com made in wonderful Somerville MA.
Word. I got me a DEEEEEEELUXE!

The first thing to do before buying a bike is decide what style of riding your going to do, a ATB if good for offroad but very inefficient and uncomfortable on the road and a road or track bike is next to useless in the woods, you might want a cyclocross type bike if you want something for a little of each.

Sheldon Brown's site is great...RIP.

I have a hard tail MTB that I fitted with a set of Conti Traffics that makes for a decent compromise between road and limited dirt/gravel riding. Quick change of skins and I can be back riding technical trails, happy as a clam in both environments. Course, it doesn't come close to a dedicated road bike (gots one of those too).

I'll just add that once you figure out what kinda bike to shoot for and your $$ range, include a 100+ for all the accessories and crap you're gonna want/need. Sites like roadbikereview.com & mtbr.com can be helpful in gathering info. I bought my last bike used off craigslist and scored a great deal, saving almost 50% off retail.

Word. I got me a DEEEEEEELUXE!

Got a Deluxe and I had a Crown Jewel I sold to a friend. I stopped riding on the road when a friend got hit by a car. He was fine but it left me thinking about it when i rode.

Mike

Okay, so Ive been reading a lot of the stuff that you all have been sending me, so thanks a bunch for that info. Now I'm a pretty short guy ~5'6 1/4" but also pretty athletic since I play soccer fairly consistently (not to mention I'm a midfielder), surf, and otherwise like to stay active and outside (which is why Im asking this in the first place). So hypothetically If i wanted to stay under 500 bucks, what should I look into for a decent bike?

I also live in Gloucester, MA (a seaport that has its fair share of wooded areas and sheisty roads) and probably am a couple to a few months away from factoring in a bike to my commute since I would want to prepare myself over a bit and not just jump into it.

What should I look into for gettin a bike? Should I look at CL and talk to the fam/friends or should I go new?

Thanks in advance guys, y'all are really helpful

The first thing you need to decide when looking for your bike is what you want to do with it. A road bike is very different than a mountain bike and a utility/commuter puts different requirements on the bike.
I commute by bike year round and have found a Surly CrossCheck to be my ideal machine, however it was about twice your suggested budget. I like the bike because it is similar to a road bike but has clearance for fenders and fairly wide tires and easily takes a rack for hauling stuff. The bike is also built to take abuse which my 220# body and potholed Cleveland roads give it. At your size you probably don't need quite as much beef.

There are a number of good bikes around $500 but it seems the sweet spot is around $1000. At that point you can get really nice bike for your chosen sport and not be wishing you would have upgraded. At $500 you are pretty much entry level.

Buying used is a good way to get more for your money, if you do your research before buying. Most bikes can easily be repaired to like new condition especially if you find a good quality machine. However it is easier to find the right bike in your size at a good shop.

Good luck and have fun

Craig

Okay, so Ive been reading a lot of the stuff that you all have been sending me, so thanks a bunch for that info. Now I'm a pretty short guy ~5'6 1/4" but also pretty athletic since I play soccer fairly consistently (not to mention I'm a midfielder), surf, and otherwise like to stay active and outside (which is why Im asking this in the first place). So hypothetically If i wanted to stay under 500 bucks, what should I look into for a decent bike?

I also live in Gloucester, MA (a seaport that has its fair share of wooded areas and sheisty roads) and probably am a couple to a few months away from factoring in a bike to my commute since I would want to prepare myself over a bit and not just jump into it.

What should I look into for gettin a bike? Should I look at CL and talk to the fam/friends or should I go new?

Thanks in advance guys, y'all are really helpful

I bought my first "good" bike from a friend...its was a Gary Fisher hard tail MTB. He paid $550 for it brand new 2 years prior and rode it mostly to school and back and took very good care of it. He sold it to me for $185, which I thought was a steal. I still have that bike and use it occasionally for riding around with the family...and it's still a nice ride, although the derailleurs are going to need some work shortly. If you're wanting to save money, going used is a good way but you need to be aware of the value or the bike/components or at least trust who you're buying from. There are lots of great bikes in the $500 range, despite what others may say...but you will probably outgrow them in a year or two. If you think this will be something you'll get into seriously then pay the extra money to get into the $800-1000 range an you'll get a really great bike.

A decent bike for $500? Check these out:

Trek Urban 2.0: $550
Trek 7.3FX: $569
Specialized Sirrus (Base Model): $590
Speicalized Crosstrail Sport: $660

I would go and try a few different styles of bikes. A mountain bike might be a good option to start out with and get a pair of high pressure "slicks" (street tires) for the bike. That way you will be in a more comfortable position, you can use it for mountain biking if you want (with different tires), flats will be more infrequent and the ride will be a bit softer. But, I would try a few different types of bikes out first and see what you like. Some people just don't like to be in certain positions on a bike.

Lots of good advice here so far. One thing to consider is how long of a commute do you have? What do you do for work and what kind of dress requirements do you have? Are in you in front of customers? If so, you will need to plan your commute accordingly. If you show up to work and are all sweaty and nasty, what will the customers or boss say? If your employer has a shower and locker room available, you will be all set.

The shorter the commute, the more likely you'll be able to get away with either a hybrid or mountain bike. The longer the commute (10+ miles), the more you need to think about the logistics and the more useful a road bike will be. A Cyclocross bike is a good option as it has fatter tires for comfort but is quicker than a mtn bike. The Lemond Poprad would be a good choice if you can find a used one.

Sounds like you are in decent shape and jumping on and commuting shouldn't hurt you too much. You'll save a ton in gas and get in better shape to boot.

be carefull of used bikes that don't shift correctly. they are one of the easiest damaged components on a bike. quality derailers get expensive. I have $250 just in derailers on mine. Yes you can get a set for $50, but you can also get a bike from walmart. nothing sucks worse than tryin to shift and loosing you rythym because your grinding your chain. having worked in a bike shop at the beginning of the mtn craze I learned alot. for quality.. if its steel it needs to be a chrome alloy. if its aluminum it needs to be butted aircraft aluminum(if I remember correctly it renolyds 6041). for good handling whether on or off road it needs front suspension(careful, you get what you pay for). rear suspension is a power eating luxury that is only for downhill and those with too much money. cheap rear suspension comfort can be had with a suspended seatpost and cushy seat(and it wont eat your power). tires need to be front knobby and rear file, your a$$ provides all the traction the rear needs. brakes need to be linear pull (most common outside of walmart). they are not newest, but will still send you into a stoppy if over applied. rims need to be double wall, period. if you go to a bike shop to test ride mtn or cross, don't be afraid to ride over the parking blocks out in the parking lot. unless you have used them before, stay away from clipon pedals untill you have your bike balance,the only thing that sucks more than derailer grind is falling over sideways cause you forgot to unclip when stopping(personal experience, my pride still hurts). IMHO these are the traits that would make and excellent cross bike. FYI I don't like road bikes or spinners. road bikes are uncomfortable and spinners take a lot of time going nowhere. hope this helps:)

One thing to consider is how long of a commute do you have? What do you do for work and what kind of dress requirements do you have? Are in you in front of customers? If so, you will need to plan your commute accordingly. If you show up to work and are all sweaty and nasty, what will the customers or boss say? If your employer has a shower and locker room available, you will be all set.

There is no way I could do a full commute from home to work on a bike. I currently commute 38mi one way. What I aim to do is get back into biking by minimally driving at home and biking around town when I need to go to the store, go to the beach, etc. Eventually when I feel ready (probably August) I will drive part of the way, and bike the rest. That is my plan for now and is obviously subject to change.

I am the new manager of Harpoon's Visitor Center at our Boston Brewery. I have been on the job 3 weeks today:mug: In terms of dress requirements, I wear darker colored jeans and usually either a Harpoon t-shirt or polo. We have bathrooms, and I know the brewers have a locker room, but I don't think it has a shower. I have read that a lot of bike commuters who don't have an access to a shower use baby wipes when theyre changing, and that helps em get by.

So long story short, I am the "face of Harpoon" and have to be presentable but dont have to wear formal business attire. Usually I get sweaty in the morning since I'm loading kegs, cases, and merch to and from the store so I have cologne, deodorant, and other toiletries already here (sorry prob TMI). I hope this gives you an idea of my intention as well as my work environment. I just sent an e-mail to a local bike shop to see what they suggest as well.

All the advice I have recieved has been stellar, thanks so much guys!:mug:

I have been thinking maybe you oughta give the IF guys in Somervile a call and see if they would be willing to work out a trade with you. They certainly do like beer.;)

A couple things about getting into biking:

You don't need a super expensive bike. Yeah it is fun to have and talk about but the number one performance enhansment you can make to your bike is the person riding it. You could also think of it this way: You want to spend an extra $2000 dollars on a better bike. Say you make $50 /hr on average (salary or not). Excluding taxes that 2000 is worth 40 hours on a bike and that 40 hours will make you a better and faster rider than the 2000 extra spent on the bike.

Second, whatever you do... WEAR A HELMET. Helmets have saved me from concussions or worse. yes they may look "dorky" but they save lives, they save even the lives of the most experienced and accomplished riders. When it comes to bike racing (and even riding) it is not a question of if you will wreck your bike but when. I have been doing road racing/crits for years now with an accomplished team and even I have been layed out on the ground not sure what just happend.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...006&Brand=Jamis&Model=Ventura+Elite&Type=bike

This is my bike, I only paid $600 for it new, I really like this bike. It has better components than a comparably priced Trek (nothing against treks, I own one of their mountain bikes) and for that price you get carbon fiber seat stays and forks.
This helps absorb bumps and makes it easier on the tush.;) I am relatively new to road biking, but I can tell you it is a great way to lose weight and tone up. The best advice I can give is get the best components you can afford, and make sure the bike fits you. And imo clipless pedals are a must, just be ready to hit the deck at least once.

I say beerthirty summed it up fairly well.

I would go for a good aluminum, hardtail frame with front suspension. Disc brakes are nice, but not necessary for the average rider. You should be able to find something in in a Trek 4 series or a GT Avalance for 400-600.

The GT factory store is an hour drive from where I live. You can pick em up for almost half of retail. My good friend just picked up one of these for $300 :eek:. Even at retail this is a great bike, rides every bit as good as my Cannondale, maybe half a pound heavier but at the half price with disc brakes to boot.

So quick update to the thread. Last Friday I purchased a brand new Trek 7.2 FX from Harborside Cycle in Gloucester. Its a solid little hybrid with a shock in the seatpost for the lovely potholes Massachusetts does nothing about. Since buying it I have already racked over 20 miles in riding and am seriously considering jumping into my first ride as early as Sept! Its called the Autumn Escape Bike Trek and its and "at your own pace" 160 mi over 3 days through the Cape. I love biking!

PS heres the new lovely:
http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/2008/xl/72fx_silver.jpg

I spent about 460 on the bike itself, then got a helmet, U-lock, cable, pump, and bike jersey. The jersey I got from Harpoon at employee prices which saved me over 40 bills :mug:

Thanks again for all the help everyone! I am totally happy with my purchase and already have fallen for riding!

Pretty late on this thread, but I just joined :) Serious MTB'r here. Here are some pics.

My bike.

bike2008dh.jpg

Local trail.

rudyfeb04.jpg

...and a short recent clip from another local trail.

http://www.universe.bookerb.com/plunge.wmv

Put together a vid of some older footage.

[ame=http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=asO7TZsbL20]YouTube - Riding 2002-2004[/ame]

After that just get a nice pair of bike shorts and ride ride ride. Your ass will hurt like hell for a few weeks, then you will get used to it. Also don't think that a bigger seat will help your butt, in most cases it will make it worse.

When your @$$ is bumping 300 Lb. you'v got to have a big seat. Started riding a road bike after not being on one for 15,20 years. Started out killing me. I could only make 3 miles at a time(live on a verrrrry hilly road and yes I peddel just as hard going down hill as I do up) when I started. now a month latter I'm doing a 7 mile round trip.Twice a day on days that I can fit an extra ride in. I had to get a large seat becouse I couldn't make 100 yards on the seat that came on my bike...maby after I lose some....well a lot more weight I'll go back to a smaller seat.

Back