Anyone install a dial thermometer in a round cooler MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinBigD

Reaction score
A few weeks ago i was doing the usual office time wasting looking at brerwing stuff online and i came across a website with instructions to install a round dial thermometer in a cooler MLT. problem is, my lazy ass forgot which site it was and now im DYING to get the damn thing built.

I remember reading something about cutting a hole slightly larger than the dial through the outer wall and foam insualtion for clearance of the head, and then drilling a clearance hole for 1/2" pipe in the ineer wall, and using a weldless kit to hold the thermo in place.

So, anyone done this?? pics, links and any info would be great!:mug:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#pipeline-dial-thermometers/=f1em3i
NSF-Certified Remote-Reading Dial Thermometers with Unthreaded Stem

I installed one of these in the lid of my MLT and it worked brilliantly. No leaks and if you keep your hole sizes within acceptable tolerance, no loss of heat either. I used a buna o ring I had in the shop to help seal the dial side to the top of the MLT with self tapping sheet metal screws. Be sure to zip tie and secure excess wire to the mash side of the lid using a cable clip anchored in with another sheet metal screw. The first time I used this setup, I had trouble removing the lid from the MLT after sparging because the grain bed compressed to the excees wire. If you allow just enough to suspend the probe into your grain at your manifold depth, you should not have any problem removing the lid. Regardless, you need to remove the lid to stir and most often, sparge also. If anybody would like a pic for better understanding, send me a message. Should be self explanatory. I love McmasterCarr!!! I have built most of my work fixtures and brew hardware with the stuff you find from their online catalog. Incredible inventory!!!

Happy brewing!!!

A few weeks ago i was doing the usual office time wasting looking at brerwing stuff online and i came across a website with instructions to install a round dial thermometer in a cooler MLT. problem is, my lazy ass forgot which site it was and now im DYING to get the damn thing built.

I remember reading something about cutting a hole slightly larger than the dial through the outer wall and foam insualtion for clearance of the head, and then drilling a clearance hole for 1/2" pipe in the ineer wall, and using a weldless kit to hold the thermo in place.

So, anyone done this?? pics, links and any info would be great!:mug:
Morebeer.com has one, a little expensive but mine works great. If you need photos and/or info on installation pm me.

You can try to add this to your cooler, or you can follow Yuri's trial and error.

I HATE my through-wall thermometer. Since the probe barely sticks out past the wall of the cooler, it's very inaccurate and usually measures quite low. I wish I'd never installed it.

If you're doing a single infusion, hit the strike temp, dough in, close the lid, and forget about it. No need to constantly monitor the temp.

Original thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/adding-thermometer-mash-tun-83881/

Reading this may be beneficial to you.

I actually installed a copper thermowell today that i fabbed at the machine shop with some brass fittings and copper tubing. We,ll see how well it works on my first brewday with cooler MLT 2.0. Retiring the 5 gallon unit to a new home on craigslist hopefully!

Sent from my MB502 using Home Brew Talk

Back