Anyone in the military?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
I have a question. I have the misfortune of dealing with an individual who was in the military, and his belief is this; because he served, he is better than civilians, and not only that, he says most people in the military think that civilians are lowly morons who don't deserve their loyal service.

Now, when I informed him that I too was a veteran, and didn't believe that nonsense, he then told me I didn't learn the "proper lessons" in the military (whatever that means).

Anyway, I was just curious about his mindset, and how prevalent it is. I have never felt that way, and no one I know who served feels that way, but it's always worth asking the question.

So?

Being in the Army myself I can see why someone would have this mindset. I often have to listen to people who serve on civil service complain because they cant use the commissary or the BX/PX.

My belief is that if you don't serve, you shouldn't be given some of the privileges. It sounds like this person took that way of thinking to the extreme though.

They do however teach the military men / women that civilians work for the military, and I guess some idiot could see that as you work for him and you are not worthy type of thing.

I agree, unless you're military, you shouldn't have access to the BX/PX. But thinking that anyone who hasn't served is beneath you seemed a little much for me. This guy is a jackass for sure, it makes all of us look bad when someone like this is running around acting like he speaks for everyone.

Ya, you get a lot of kids in the military who really have something they can be proud of, but without a little bit of maturity it can get out of hand.. case in point, that guy

I am in the military.

There are civilians who do an excellent job where I work, I get along well with them and without them we wouldn't function.

There are also civilians who work in offices who really appear to serve no useful function at all. When you do go for assistance, they give you the run-around or totally blow you off.

There are people just like that in the military as well. The thing that bothers me is that most of the useless civilians are making more money than a military guy doing the same job, or doing the bulk of the civilian's work while that guy takes credit for it. I've seen some civilians that are so grossly out of shape that they take the elevator up one level and are out of breath if you see them on the stairs. That and the fact that they are supposed to be at work for a set period but are always out of the office or leave early.

Again, I have no problem with the good ones, but do feel that some contractors/civil service employees abuse the system and their position.

I am in the USAF-

The Majority of Civilians I have worked with have been GS11-14. The majority have been sucking up paychecks and leaving early with no recourse, no deployments and never working a crappy shift on a holiday.

I have worked with others outside my career filed who were great. So it seems more limited to computers than civilians.

One thing I dont like about the civs is the top brass somehow thinks its cheaper to pay someone 5 times my salary to do the same job yet be unable to deploy or work outside his 40hrs a week. Guess who picks up all the slack from that. At least I dont have a civilian in my Chain of Command. Ive seen shops where thats the case and it is never good.

Anyways end rant-
Civs working with the military always has and will be needed. And I agree they do serve.

The funny part is, this guy is now a contractor profiteering off the war, but he still acts like he's military. He's in intelligence, but he lacks any himself it seems. Overall, the guy is a waste of space.

Having held some rather high clearances in the Navy and dealt with the "Intelligence" community too often, my position is that most of them feel they are special because they have access to data that other people don't. The simple fact that most of this data is trash isn't a factor. They've got it & you don't.

Having held some rather high clearances in the Navy and dealt with the "Intelligence" community too often, my position is that most of them feel they are special because they have access to data that other people don't. The simple fact that most of this data is trash isn't a factor. They've got it & you don't.

+1, and I was in the Navy as well, high security clearance, and I think you're spot on.

Eskimo, your aquaintence is a jackwad. You can tell him I said that. He has a lot to learn in life. And he isn't going to learn what he needs to learn in the military. I was a Marine for 4 years. I had a great time and a very successful enlistment (e.g., for my last PFT, I ran 3 miles in 15:56!), but wanted to move on and go to college. I have no regrets and only miss it in the nostalgic sense, but I'm glad I got out and became a civilian again. I don't think I'm better than civilians for having been in the military. I may have experience unique to the military, but it doesn't make me better.

The military isn't for everyone (although I happen to believe one should have had to serve (active duty!) to be eligible to be President, AKA Commander-in-Chief... but that doesn't mean I'll only vote for the candidate who did serve).

I can picture this guy... he was probably sort of a loser in high school, joined the military to gain an identity and the automatic respect of the uniform. Probably came back after boot camp and walked around town in his uniform, wearing badges he didn't earn.

If you're in the military, great, do your job and kudos to you for serving. If you're out... LET IT GO!!!!

Army - Going on 12 years.

Eskimo - Next chance you get punch that clown in the throat for me.

I work and try real hard to go beyond sterotypes in the military. HEll, I am a Military Policeman, and we are one of the most hated groups in the Army (and for good reason-most MP as A$$H@l3s). But anyone that thinks that past performance is an indicator of current status needs to be set straight.

I love my job and will keep at it util they beat me out with a stick. Is it hard, hell yeah! I have spent all are part of every year from 2001 until now deployed. Does that mean that I am better than any one, hell no! I am no better than any other man or woman thatwakes up and goes in to the office everyday, we all have our jobs to do, and IMHO that is really all there is to it.

Tim

Well just re-enlisted for another 6 years yesterday. I think it's hard to make a general statement concerning any large body or organization in full. Anybody that would make a statement like that either rgarding anything would have to be blatantly ignorant, because it would be very speculative to base a general statement that covers every individual within that rank. All in all that statement pretty much shows you the intelligence level of that individual. While I agree that there are morons both in the civilian and military world, there are people more caring and commendable than I am, and it would be disrespectful to shame them in a general blanket statement. .

Sounds like he needs a blanket party to give him some perspective. The military is under a lot of the fickle public's eye over the last few years, and it doesn't need clownskulls like him giving an aura of a bad reputation.

I did three years Active, jumping out planes running around bad places and did a good job of messing up my shoulder and back. Not badly, but surfing big waves or doing anything stressful is out of the question. Then I spent quite a few years in college while in the reserves and for the last decade plus I have worked as a contractor computer geek. Otherwise proudly known as the blood sucking leaches suckling off of the governments teats.
I volunteer to deploy, they don't let me go because "they like me there doing the/ir work". I volunteer to work night shifts, they don't let me because "they like me there doing the/ir work".
I really miss having active duty people in the shop, but they are busy shooting bullets and dropping bombs.
I don't want to make this a political debate, but the military is really pushed to meet all of the requirements, and love working for them and with them.
The contractors are expendable, the military moves around too much to have the institutional memory needed in places, and the civilians are usually burnt out for one reason or another. Maybe we should act like the Swiss, have a kick ass military, but do not go out of country, "except to guard the Pope". The watch all hell break loose and sell both sides the weapons like the French, "Then complain about anyone interfering".

Back