Anyone here use a Better Bottle with racking adaptor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongo64

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was looking online and ran across these Better Bottles with a racking adaptor and was wondering if anyone here had experience with these. If you have one of these could you tell how well it works for you? These look pretty slick.

I have one. Since I only have one, I haven't been able to transfer under co2, and I know that Superiorbrew has posted that he does and he loves his.

I hate mine, and am sorry I wasted the money. Without pushing it with co2, the transfer is SLOW. I mean, about a trickle. That's with the "hi-flo" valve, too. I've never been able to use it, since I don't have four hours to transfer from it. I still use my racking cane, and just ignore the racking adapter. I like my non-ported better bottles 100 times more.

+1 on what she said. Mine is pretty slow but not anywhere near the trickle 4 hour speed.

Hmmm, I love mine and use them exclusively... The transfer is a bit slow, like 10-15 minutes (w/o pushing it with CO2) to drain a 6 gallon carboy. But the ability to push it with CO2, which I do to purge yeast for harvesting, is great.

I can deal with the slow transfer, but that port is flimsy and is the achilles heal of an otherwise strong container. I am so nervous I'm gonna knock the port right off the bottle every time I lower it into my chest freezer. I would skip it next time (I have 4 without, 1 with).

I recently picked up one and I LOVE it. If they had been available 15 years ago, that is all I would own.

I have 5) 6.5 gallon plastic conicals and I find the Better Bottle 6 gallon far more useful.

I do not find transfers to be slow in the least. I have found a 1/2" ID silicone hose fits perfectly over the racking adaptor.

I normally keg all my beers, but I did bottle a batch recently for my brother in law. The BB with racking port worked great with a racking tube inserted inside the fitting.

They are light weight and very easy to clean and sanitize. I bought my current one off of craigslist. If I can find more, I will buy them. HIGHLY recommended.

YooperBrew,

If you really hate yours and want to be rid of it, I would love to work out a deal with you to take it off your hands.

I have 4 of them. It's all I've ever used.

I'm not sure what others mean by a slow transfer. It takes me about 15 minutes to to transfer 5 gallons by gravity. 20 inches of head, 3/8 OD tube that fits inside the racking port. *Lightbulb moment* I'm going to try the 5/8 tube that fits outside the racking port next time.

I love that you can purge everything with CO2 and almost totally eliminate any O2 exposure during racking.

Back