Anyone here from Buffalo, NY?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know I already have another thread about a trip to Boston in September, but as it happens I'm also heading to Buffalo at the end of July with some friends. Since it's also my birthday weekend, they've invited me to pick the restaurant. One of my friends had the following 2 restaurant recommendations:

• Trattoria Aroma Bryant
  • Russell's Steak House

I've never been to Buffalo, and was hoping a native Buffalonean (pretty sure that's what they're called) could weigh in with an opinion about which of those restaurants would be better for a craft beer snob who also likes great food. Or are there other, better options I'm not aware of?

I'm not a native, but I've lived here long enough to consider myself a local.

I like the Griffon Pub myself. The food is very, very good, and the beer list is amazing. 100 beers on tap. You can drop $50 on a bottle of beer if you're not careful. www.thegriffonpub.com

You missed the Blue Monk. That was one of my favorites, but it's gone now.

Trattoria Aroma is good, but I'm not sure they have much of a beer list. They do have some good local stuff.

Russell's is a good steak house. I've never considered them a beer place.

There are a bunch of local breweries here now too. you should check them out. Nothing that will blow you away, but they have some pretty solid beers.

I'm not a native, but I've lived here long enough to consider myself a local.

I like the Griffon Pub myself. The food is very, very good, and the beer list is amazing. 100 beers on tap. You can drop $50 on a bottle of beer if you're not careful. www.thegriffonpub.com

You missed the Blue Monk. That was one of my favorites, but it's gone now.

Trattoria Aroma is good, but I'm not sure they have much of a beer list. They do have some good local stuff.

Russell's is a good steak house. I've never considered them a beer place.

There are a bunch of local breweries here now too. you should check them out. Nothing that will blow you away, but they have some pretty solid beers.

Seriously, the Blue Monk is gone? I loved that place. Every time we'd go to Buffalo, we'd have dinner and beers there. But because our dollar has been so bad (Canadian), we haven't gone down in about a year. That is super disappointing to hear :(

There are a quite a few breweries in the area - Flying Bison, Community Beer Works, Big Ditch, Hamburg, Resurgence, probably others by now. I grew up there and visit four or five times a year, and every time I go I get growlers filled at Community because I love the guys and the beer is outstanding. Big Ditch has good food and good beer, and its a great place to meet up with friends. I'd steer clear of Pearl Street and Hotel Lafayette (decent food, lousy beer).

From what I know Russels is a fancy, expensive dinner place...like I would never go there to get a beer and watch a hockey game. Not sure what you are looking for exactly, but for me Russels is not my kind of place.

I've never been there before but that Griffon Pub looks pretty damn good (from their web site anyway).

And yes Blue Monk is gone, but I heard the owner is opening a new place at Canalside (maybe?). Could even be open by now.

Yeah, Griffon Gastropub looks like the winner, thanks guys. :) What a beer selection! Do they do build-your-own-flight sampler paddles? One of my friends is pushing back a little ("It's all just burgers, and it's 20 minutes away from where we're staying!"), but I'm sure I can talk her into it, even if I have to play the "birthday" card.

Thanks again, can't wait to try it!

Back