Anyone hear this about Russian River?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
Just got back from the LHBS where the guy behind the counter mentioned that Russian River was in the process (or may have already) of buying the old Stone Brewery plant to be used solely for production of Pliny the Elder. Assuming it's true, any word on when production/distribution begins?; and, whether there would be increased distribution beyond the left coast and surrounding areas (like east of the Mississippi, preferably Ohio)?

A thousand pardons if this is old news and I'm late to the game.

Didn't somebody else already buy it (Port?).

Doesn't mean it isn't for sale again.

This would be welcome new indeed. I hope they do a few beers because their IPAs and Porter are really good too.

Just got back from the liquor store where mycoworkers and I bought them out ot today's shipment of Pliny. If this is true, it's awesome!

Also worth noting is that Stone is in Escondido, CA and Russian River is in Santa Rosa, CA. They're about 500 miles apart

Also worth noting is that Stone is in Escondido, CA and Russian River is in Santa Rosa, CA. They're about 500 miles apart

Yeah, but Vinnie has strong ties to the area, and if it were just for a production facility, it wouldn't matter much.

Just got back from the LHBS where the guy behind the counter mentioned that Russian River was in the process (or may have already) of buying the old Stone Brewery plant to be used solely for production of Pliny the Elder.

The old Stone Brewing location is now Lost Abbey, and given how well they are doing I don't think they will be selling. (I could see Tomme contracting out a fermentor for Pliny or something though.)

The old Stone Brewing location is now Lost Abbey, and given how well they are doing I don't think they will be selling. (I could see Tomme contracting out a fermentor for Pliny or something though.)

Well, Stone didn't sell it because they were doing poorly.

If Vinnie wants a largish production brewery, SD is a better location for it than Santa Rosa. Assuming they don't do the sours there, there is no reason for him to be there that often.

True they are 500 miles apart, but Stone in the distributor for them. Although I don't think Lost Abbey/Port are moving or changing equipment anytime soon.

Maybe he's confused with the fact the equipment that they bought for Russian River's production brewery was Dogfish Head's old system?

If Vinnie was actually going to buy a brewery in the San Diego area it'd probably be Green Flash's old brewery, since it's for sale.

I'm with SPLASTiK....probably confusing it with the Dogfish Head system they just bought for Pliny bottling. I had my brother bring ship me out some bottled Pliny from CA over the winter. Goooood stuff. holds up really well compared to draft Pliny.

Back