anyone have some great award winning brew recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
Looking to knock some socks off this fourth of July. I was leaning towards a Belgian dubbel at first, but now I'm thinking something along the lines of drinkability. Any great recipes are appreciated. Just something that will change lives. Thanks for all your help fella's!

Buy a copy of "Brewing Classic Styles". Every recipe in the book has won an award. Are you a all grain or extract brewer?

TimTrone said:
Buy a copy of "Brewing Classic Styles". Every recipe in the book has won an award. Are you a all grain or extract brewer?

I brewed a hefe pretty similar to the one in that book and got a gold. It was my first hefe I've ever brewed and first competition.

I hate to be that guy, but recipes are honestly the last thing that will get you an award. Yes, I realize you aren't looking to compete or anything. However, there is still a difference between brewing a beer based off of an award winning recipe, and being able to brew a beer that is actually award winning caliber.

In other words, rigorous technique is the only way to achieve superb beer. Yes, a great recipe (and quality ingredients) is a good starting point, but if you put them together wrong or don't treat them properly, what was the point?

I'm not trying to say you shouldn't try different recipes and experiment. I just want to help you keep a broad perspective on the whole brewing process, and not just the recipe.

I hate to be that guy, but recipes are honestly the last thing that will get you an award. Yes, I realize you aren't looking to compete or anything. However, there is still a difference between brewing a beer based off of an award winning recipe, and being able to brew a beer that is actually award winning caliber.

In other words, rigorous technique is the only way to achieve superb beer. Yes, a great recipe (and quality ingredients) is a good starting point, but if you put them together wrong or don't treat them properly, what was the point?

I'm not trying to say you shouldn't try different recipes and experiment. I just want to help you keep a broad perspective on the whole brewing process, and not just the recipe.

I dont totally agree with this. Some recipies work well because the mixture of flavors from the grain and hop are well balanced, and just taste damn good together.

Its kind of like sports equipment, I bought a fancy new driver and now I can hit it farther ........... into the woods.

I good recipie wont make good beer if your process is off, and a bad recipie wont make a good beer even if your process is perfect.

By taking a known good recipe you can work on your process.

Hey Basil, have you found the recipe database here at HBT? Lots of good recipes in there to get you started.

I'd love to see a collection of the best-received recipes on HBT. There are some great ones there, no doubt, but there are just so darned many...

I'd love to see a collection of the best-received recipes on HBT. There are some great ones there, no doubt, but there are just so darned many...

Some of the ones that are really great have "stars" in their rating, so that's one good indicator, plus the ones with a ton of responses/replies saying they brewed it as well is a good sign.

I agree with everyone suggesting "Brewing Classic Styles", it has a proven recipe for every major style available.

Yes process and technique brew great beers and recipes are just a game plan but you need a solid game plan if you want to perfect your technique and process. These recipes are built to-style and it is easier to judge your results against an expected end product that is familiar, and competition judges will judge against the style guidelines.

ktblunden said:
If you're looking for a crowd pleaser for summer, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde is pretty time tested at this point.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/

Thanks for all the responses so far. Each one has been greatly appreciated. However, only kt has given a response I was looking for. I can and have spent hours looking at award winning recipes. I want to know which recipes have brought "you" gold. Or at least was the best damn brew you have ever freakin had. Continue forth, and brew on.

keesh said:

I dont really agree either, a recipe is more then a list of ingredients. Its also a "when and how". A solid recipe will have times and temps and special process. You are right the best ingredient combo can still make crappy beer, but that just one part of what a recipe realy is. If i were asked to prove a recipe i would include every thing i do, not just my ingredient list.

Its kind of like sports equipment, I bought a fancy new driver and now I can hit it farther ........... into the woods.

I really like this analogy. If your process isn't good, the recipe won't matter.

If you can't hit the ball straight, you don't need a $500 driver.

Having said that...I know my process, especially on the cold side, is what is largely responsible for the competition success I have had this year. Now I need to improve my understanding of ingredients. My recipes need to get better to put me over the top.

Just remember a great recipe is only a small part of brewing a great beer. I think it really is a brewers skill that makes a beer great. As an example I brewed an American Amber from BCS last year for a comp. It got really low scores....obviously it wasn't the recipe but rather something I did or didn't do.

I understand entirely that great brews are made not from ingredients but efficiency in which they are used. my question is derived from my untrust of every and all recipes. like any business minded person I have a hard time putting in time and money to receive "ok" or efficient beers. I am looking for ingredients and process to achieve a better beer.

basilchef said:
I am looking for improved process to achieve a better beer b/c sanitation, pitching the right amount of yeast, closely controlling my fermentation temps, and careful packaging make up 90% of a great beer

Fixed that for ya :)

I understand entirely that great brews are made not from ingredients but efficiency in which they are used. my question is derived from my untrust of every and all recipes. like any business minded person I have a hard time putting in time and money to receive "ok" or efficient beers. I am looking for ingredients and process to achieve a better beer.

ok..here you go. http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/AHA-National-Homebrew-Competition-Winners-Circle
All recipes have won Gold at the NHC....can't do better than that.

Back