anyone have problems with bugs affecting beers after?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ton

Reaction score
Some other guys in my homebrew club are always saying that the best place to make a lambic is at someone elses place. One guy said he actually infected his whole house. That guy is a reputable brewer, even a genius in my opinion. Anyone have issuses with this. Especially with brett. He told me the stuff gets in the air and once any beers get 6 months old, the brett infects them. Should i be worried?

Sounds a little off the wall to me, but this is just my opinion. Maybe some experienced lambic brewers out there will offer their opinion.....

Everyone I know who uses brett in the beer they make will use separate plastic tubing and siphons for their bug beers. Good sanitation can prevent you from having to worry, but I'm not going to take the chance that there's an infection hanging out in there. Like that little rubber piece at the auto siphon... It just seems like a good place to harbor an infection, and it just isn't worth the risk to me.

Plastic tubing is cheap and other than that, there shouldn't be any issues.

i appreciate all the input guys. I love wild beers and my girl is freaked out by the thought (she helps brew). this should ease her mind

I had someone tell me the same thing and I say BS. Besides, the only beer that is going to sit around for more than six months at my house is one that has bugs.

Back