Anyone have any experience with molasses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubbies

Tastes like butterdirt
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently brewed a beer that was supposedly an old American Settler homebrew. It called for a pound of molasses. I used 15 fluid ounces, which comes out to about a pound and a quarter. It tastes terrible. There is a definite, and strong molasses flavor. Covers up all of the maltiness, and all of the hoppiness. It is just cold carbonated molasses. Now, it has only been in the keg for a week, and I know most flavors need more time than that to mellow, but does anyone with experience with it know for sure if it will mellow out?

I've never used more then a 1/2 pound, but it did take about a month to mellow out the strong flavor of the mollases. Eventually it did taste great, so just give it time.

nick

Molasses is a heavy duty flavor, but it does fade eventually. I've used 12 ounces in an ale & it took about two months to blend in.

I use it for most of my Stouts but I only use 16 oz for a 10 gal. batch. And it turns out nice, but you do need to let it sit and age for awhile.

Back